Author Topic: Finding the mighty Morel Mushroom  (Read 14889 times)

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • 6 Pointer
  • zzz zzz zzz
Finding the mighty Morel Mushroom
« on: Aug 20, 2004, 07:28:31 AM »
Alright... after all the hype on MFF this spring, I wanted to try some morels. Low and behold the wife found a few where she works. Not the kind of place you would think to find them, they were growing in the middle of the city (Green Bay) right next to a huge office building. Well I ate them, we had two meals and now I am hooked!

Now where are the best places to look for them? Spill it MOE!

I have heard they grow under dead elm trees? Hope this is true because most of the elm trees in my location are dying.

A friend of mine recently had them pop up in his yard. They had a stump ground out and where the grindings of wood chips fell.... Out of no where a morel garden sprang up! Now they have all the morels they want. How did this happen? Spores in the tree? Sure like to create one of these myself.

-Scott
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2004, 08:04:32 AM by Scott »

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
Re: Finding the mighty Morel Mushroom
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2004, 09:46:16 AM »
I've done good under pine trees in sandy areas not solid pines but 10-15 mixed in hardwoods or along field edges or along fence rows.  Another hot spot is under standing dead elm trees some spots I have found 15-20 every year under the same trees.   Get out there and wear out some boot leather when you find one look for more and also look in similar areas with the same type of soil/vegatation.  Once you get some expirence and a few good spots it gets alot easier .  One more tip look under old apple and crabapple trees I have done well in these areas too.

Offline Phoenix

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2004, 12:49:24 PM »
I would like to try this mushroom hunting sport, there are a lot of them growing in the woods where I live in northern Maine. However, I'm scared to death that I'll eat the wrong ones and either drop dead on the spot or start seeing twelve foot, purple, talking, white perch. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?Preferably one that concentrates on the species available where I live. Thanks.

Offline Phoenix

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2004, 05:48:10 AM »
You're right about that Grump, there's a lot of info out there. I was just trying to take advantage of the expertise here and see if I could harvest one or two gems others may have found,  to concentrate on. This mushroom hunting is quite a lot more difficult than deer hunting. At least the deer don't often kill you if you shoot the wrong one ;D

Offline skulldugary

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2004, 08:17:08 AM »
suprized you found them in August,I've never found them that late here in Michigan.I find a lot of mine in old popal thickets about 10 to 15 years old .I only found a few thousand last year,must have found over 40 lbs the year before.Try Michigan Morel .com for info.There are some VERY knowedgable people there on all aspects of shroom hunting also try the Audobons Guide to North American Mushrooms and the Mushroom Hunters Field guide by Alexander H. Smith.You need to learn the difference between the early,half free and the true morel...

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2005, 12:54:53 PM »
Can anyone tell me what type of gun to use to shoot a shroom :-[
     Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
Can anyone tell me what type of gun to use to shoot a shroom :-[
     Jim
  Mussburg! ;D
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

Offline spudbar

• Forked
  • Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2008, 11:08:01 AM »
What's the going rate for morel mushies these days   price/lb  ??
You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!

Offline grousemaster789

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »
What's the going rate for morel mushies these days   price/lb  ??

ive heard 20-60$/lb
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »
Dead elms is where i find most all of my morels,  never had any luck in or around pine stands, and i also find a few in popple stands.  Places where there was a forest fire are good areas to check also.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Trapper1196

• Nubbie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
Never gone mushroom hunting, guess I'll have to give it a try this year!
-Trapper1196

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2010, 04:26:42 PM »
I've seen morels sell for $30-$40/pound before.  I find a crap load of them darn things, but they never make it anywhere but the frying pan.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2010, 04:40:31 PM »
I went looking in spots I found them last year and a few other spots and nothing yet..... Still a little to early......
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hotdog

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2010, 03:22:48 AM »
I would like to try this mushroom hunting sport, there are a lot of them growing in the woods where I live in northern Maine. However, I'm scared to death that I'll eat the wrong ones and either drop dead on the spot or start seeing twelve foot, purple, talking, white perch. Can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?Preferably one that concentrates on the species available where I live. Thanks.
go to morel.com that will get you a good start. don't know much about up there i live in Northeast Indiana. and here we find blacks,greys and yellows. dead elms, black Cherry, sycamore's.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2010, 05:19:40 AM »
Welcome to the site Hotdog....  Thanks for the web site.. Good information..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal