Author Topic: I am addicted to mushrooms!  (Read 10592 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
I am addicted to mushrooms!
« on: Jul 07, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
And I love it!  ;)

I have been shrooming for 25 years. Passed down from my parents and expanded by me :)

I know what these are, can you name them all???

Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: I am addicted to mushrooms!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:39:14 PM »
First welcome to the site...
Those are great pictures...  I'm pretty new at it and stick to morels and puff balls.
You have a great verity there...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
I bet Joe Snag could name a few... ::)    ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2015, 06:08:47 AM »
Thank you raquettedacker. There are no morels where I am, but I would love to spend one season searching for them where they do grow. I hope someone takes a stab at identifying them.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2015, 06:13:46 AM »
Wooh I guess so.  I like picking morels  and sometimes will pick some chicken of the woods, but your on a whole other level.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »
i see chicken of the woods, a few types of boletes, black trumpets, chanterelles of diff. types, blewits, maitake, hedgehogs, several types of scabers, oysters? . i miss any? I've yet to find any amount of black trumpets. what kind of woods do you pick in mostly ? if you ever want to show a relatively new picker some tricks in finding mushrooms, i invite you to come pick in my neck of the woods. I've yet to pick with a fellow mushroom hunter. none that i know of around here. could show you lots of chaga, lobsters and boletes. esp. late july on. my hats off to you!
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2015, 09:20:47 AM by mooseslayer71 »

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2015, 09:29:55 AM »
Almost spot on. There are no blewits, hedgehogs, or brick tops. The brick top you are referring to is a painted suillus and there are 4 types of suillus here in total. I have been trying to locate hedgehogs with no success. Sounds like you do some mushroom hunting as well!
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2015, 09:51:49 AM »
Almost spot on. There are no blewits, hedgehogs, or brick tops. The brick top you are referring to is a painted suillus and there are 4 types of suillus here in total. I have been trying to locate hedgehogs with no success. Sounds like you do some mushroom hunting as well!
[/quot  ohh. yes forgot the sullius. hard to tell some of them without a closer look. got a ton of them on my front lawn in sept. under my red pines. didn't trust trying them until i could 100% identify them. got a bunch of birch scabers under my big birch. tried them last year but not very flavorfull. ok in a stir fry. found a mountain ash full of pearl oysters last year behind my shed. they were delicious! yes I've been picking for about 3 years now. read about every book on the subject. i have 12 outside beds growing w/ winecaps, blewits, n. east almond portabellos, elm oysters and prince mushrooms. some should produce soon. i find a lot of boletes, lobsters and chaga up here. found some blewits, chanterelles, trumpets, parasols, hedgehogs, and others but not in large amounts. if you ever want to pick n. maine i could bring you out to the allagash and pick the old growth forests around it. I've found huge chaga out there and some of the biggest picks of oysters around out there. id like to learn some tips on where to find some of these species. theres literally no one that picks up here other than chaga. you ever decide to come up give me a yell. have a good one.    sincerely, steve bossie

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
Is no one on this site or does no one hunt for mushrooms? I am having one of the best seasons in my life and I can only imagine that its good all around. Anyone have any posts?
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
I don't think I have seen anyone as addicted as you..   I get the ones I know..   Wish I had parents that taught me as yours did you....
I have had people jump out of there car and pick those yellow ones in my yard....

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »
But stick with us and keep your posts coming..  I think I'm learning something... ;D

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »

I never had anyone show me what was what with them , What you can eat and what you cannot .
     It is very interesting watching and learning from your post , Has me paying more attention .....

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
Well at least someone is around! Here are a few more pictures from the last few days.

Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »

What state you from never seen a lot of them around here in northern Vermont  , And much better than what you can get in any store ....
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2015, 04:18:24 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
How do you prepair and preserve so much at once??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal