Author Topic: 4 Bears Steal Elk  (Read 7650 times)

Offline er-e-is

• 6 Pointer
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2012, 09:07:27 AM by er-e-is »

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
Re: 4 Bears Steal Elk
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »
Peddler

Offline appleye

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
Tim Mayo sounds like  tool.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
Tim Mayo sounds like  tool.
Not all Realtors are like that.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
I would say retreat was the proper thing to do.

YUP......... 8)
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »

Peddler  8) 8) 8)

yup...

Luke

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2012, 02:35:32 PM »
yup...

Luke

You know after thinking more about it that's really scary. Why would you want to leave a carcass and wouldn't you like to have a friend for backup & help when you went back for it.

Peddler  :-\ :-\ :-\
Peddler

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »
You know after thinking more about it that's really scary. Why would you want to leave a carcass and wouldn't you like to have a friend for backup & help when you went back for it.

Peddler  :-\ :-\ :-\

If there are bears around I would definitely want backup...

Luke

Offline POk3s

• 6 Pointer
  • Spike Killer!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
Peddler, when you're hunting miles into the wilderness and shoot an elk at last light there's no choice but to leave the carcass at least for some point. Even if you work on packing it out throughout the night, you then have to go back hours later and in the dark. I choose morning light and have done it quite a bit with either my elk, my dad's, or one of my buddies. Have packed out a handful of elk now by myself and in the places I go it's almost always a 2 day ordeal. Just walk up with pistol in hand.

I gotta say I hate the "elk reduction program". With the amount of grizzlies and black bears in there, they can do that themselves. Not to mention wolves. Stupid.
Trent Williams

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »

Peddler  8) 8) 8)

yup

Offline duckman111

• Fawn
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
After reading that article maybe the park should be closed during hunting season.. EXCEPT FOR LICENSED HUNTERS!!!

Offline er-e-is

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
I got to watch some of the GTNP elk hunt last year while I was bison hunting. There were people lined up along the road to Kelly just waiting for the elk to make a break for it. Guys had benches set up along side their pickups. It would be a good area to set aside for senior hunters or youth hunters. Hopefully we will be able to hunt some griz in the next few years and thin them out.

Offline bbkyle35

• Forked
  • If it flys it dies, if it runs its done!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
I got to watch some of the GTNP elk hunt last year while I was bison hunting. There were people lined up along the road to Kelly just waiting for the elk to make a break for it. Guys had benches set up along side their pickups. It would be a good area to set aside for senior hunters or youth hunters. Hopefully we will be able to hunt some griz in the next few years and thin them out.

I've heard of people only taking a knife on that hunt. Then running out and claiming an elk before anyone else got to it. A lot of fights happen out there.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

Offline POk3s

• 6 Pointer
  • Spike Killer!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
Why even screw with that garbage. If I see another person while hunting I'm angry. Not to mention a dude with a bench outside his pickup.
Trent Williams

Offline Special

• Fawn
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »

Why even screw with that garbage. If I see another person while hunting I'm angry. Not to mention a dude with a bench outside his pickup.
I've hunted the migration for many years it used to be a social thing. Being able to take a couple of elk. Suprisingly its fun. Coffee and a good time. Lazymans way of getting meat in the freezer.  Nice thing is you sit and wait for the elk to come to you. Back in the 90's it was a blast now you have to actually work at it alittle. Its not for the Mighty hunter its for a social time. Used to go every year on thanksgiving. Now due to lack of numbers I'll get a additonal some were else. But its always fun going back remembering the good times. And I have never come home empty handed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal