Author Topic: My luck continues  (Read 914 times)

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
My luck continues
« on: Nov 26, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
so saturday i decided to hunt an area that i had been seeing some does. the last time i was there, i had 2 nice does within 20 yards of me for 30 minutes but i couldn't shoot them. i had my slug gun and the doe days had already expired. this time, i figured i would bring my bow as my main weapon and my 10mm glock. i can legally hunt with the 10mm and can consistantly put em in a pie plate out to 60 yards or so. my thoughts were that i'd be covered if a doe comes by (with bow) and if a buck happens to come by but just out of bow range i could shoot it with the 10mm. i wanted to bring the slug gun, but this area is quite a walk, both long distance and difficult terrain so i wanted to travel as light as possible. just a bow and a pistol.

the area where i park is a roughed in driveway next to a large over grown logged area. well.. i get there, gear up, and walk about 60 yards from the truck to the woodline. i walk about 20 yards into the woods and boom, i jump a deer. i couldn't tell what it was until it popped out on the edge of the logged area. a buck, a nice one at that. it ran straight away from me, out in the open, and stopped about 80 yards away. he stood there for 6 or 7 seconds, broadside, looking around wondering what just walked in on him. now if i'd had my slug gun, i woulda had an 80 yard open shot on a standing still broadside buck. i wasn't going to attempt the shot with a pistol. the one time i don't bring the slugger...  ::)

pretty sure it was this guy. looked like a decent 8 pointer. i was about 100 yards from where this pic was taken when i jumped him.

i don't care what i have to do to lug all my stuff, but next time the slugger is coming with me!

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
Re: My luck continues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
ugh that sucks man!  keep after him!

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
Re: My luck continues
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
yeah i'll be back in there. that hunt wasn't a total waste though. i found a new potential stand location on a good looking trail. and, just before dark i had 7 or 8 turkeys fly up to roost in the trees not 30 yards from me. that's always cool to watch. one of em had ocd.. he couldn't decide which limb or tree to stay in. i bet he moved 10 times. funny to watch.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal