Author Topic: out look for next years white-tail herd.....?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
out look for next years white-tail herd.....?
« on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
so this season of the falling of the brutes has got me pondering what next season will bring for the buck to doe ratio.....seams that there has been a mass of mature bruiser bucks taken out of the gean pool thus far from early bow season right to now early rut.  Obviously these harvests are necessary and momentous however may they hurt our herds possibly having more young adolescent bucks breeding the elder does.   Just wondering what every one elses thoughts are on this subject, just got me thinking with the abnormal amount of bruiser bucks being harvested this year, obviously theres always the facts that these old bucks will eventually secumb to old age but with the numbers being harvested this season its just got me wondering what the trail cameras will be showing this spring....  Figured this might be a interesting thread....lets see where it go's? ;)

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
Re: out look for next years white-tail herd.....?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2012, 04:43:12 AM »
I think you'll find that the mild winter of 2011 was the major factor in buck survival.... many run down from the rut, never make it through most harsh winters. Another mild winter will be a boom for 2012 buck survival. I've been feeding deer for the past 5 years and last year they disappeared after the first of the year and very few ever showed up at the feeder. This winter maybe different , there were no acorns around my home... time will tell. I'll be putting out the feed and let the cameras decide.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2012, 05:15:06 AM »
Studies have shown that an area with low buck population will try to correct itself....a doe will have either one fawn, a buck...or two, one of each....I have tracked the area I hunt for 15 years in a journal....the year after one with little buck sightings or sign, we have a group of young bucks...so the doe have tried to correct it.....only problem comes when hunters kill those small bucks and not any of the doe....like happened here last year....five small bucks taken...no doe....this year is very low on deer sign and no buck sign what so ever.....Taking the mature animals out is the best for the herd.....as well as some of the young doe....that has shown to help the herd the most....those young bucks that do the late breeding still have genes from the big, mature buck....as well as the doe....so continues the gene pool.....and doe whitetails push out small bucks from her or her offspring....to keep from inbreeding....nature has a funny way of taking care of itself.....makes one wonder why man thinks he can do better....when nature has done it far longer than we have, and better than we ever could......seems to reason why man populated where they did....because the food was plentiful....nature gave a bounty....it was man who took more than the land could sustain....now we think we can manage it and "fix it"....

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
I'm a fan of APR and proper management, but government has a hard time doing anytime ... either right or wrong. So to believe government can fix anything, is tantamount to waiting for Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny to show up and be the hero! 

Just look at successful operations where politics is removed from the equation.

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »
Well finally some bites.......! :D  Upstatehunter I think you offer some great insight its awsome that you have been keeping a hunting journal somthing I have been meaning to do!
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2012, 05:17:03 PM by Mearzy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal