Author Topic: Hunting During Heat  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
Hunting During Heat
« on: Nov 05, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
So this hot weather is bumming me out. Just curious how you guys adjust your strategy when it gets hot like this. Most of the areas I hunt have large wetland/stream systems so it's tough for me to just key in on a water feature since they are such sizable features. Or do you just say screw it, it's the rut deer are going to be moving? I would think this kind of warm weather would cut down on the mid-day buck movement since.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Hunting During Heat
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2020, 05:11:27 PM »
I don’t change my strategy one bit. I basically only hunt wetland/stream systems as well. Having said that I never got into the keying on water when it’s hot. They get 90% of that water just from what they eat they really don’t need much. Even with this drought I never hunted water just to hunt it. Water is just the least of a deers worries IMO. I do agree the temps create more action under the cover of darkness but in no way slows it down.

For what it’s worth The majority of big bucks I’ve taken have been in these high temps and in that 2-430 pm window
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »
While I definitely do agree hunting in the heat sucks, I don't change what I'm doing. Especially during the rut, those deer are gonna do whatever they're doing regardless. I sit ALOT anyway so i just get in a good key area and stay put. In the heat... Less movement, less body odor.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
I would push in very close to bedding right now and still do all day sits if you can. You will not see as much midday action as with cooler temps but they will still move around the bedding areas.

Offline Dirt23

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2020, 05:23:06 AM »
Regardless of heat or not we all no what November does to bucks it's just like us at a beach always looking.  This time of year I focus on funnels adjacent to bedding in mornings.  Evening like to move a little closer primary food sources.  Heat may limit some of afternoon cruising but should still see good movement beginning and end of day but you never no this time of year pee pee is a very powerful thing

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:36:49 PM »
Well good to know I'm not missing anything obvious. I'll try to enjoy the warmth for now because I'm sure in two weeks it will be 10 degrees and I'll be freezing to death.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
72° on November 6 = Ick !

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2020, 05:07:42 PM »
Unimpressed for sure! Probably be dealing with black flys and Swatting 🦟 🦟 by weeks end. Its still 2020! Darn it !
patience, persistence, presentation

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal