Hunting by Game/Technique > Wild Boar Hunting

Dangerous??

<< < (2/2)

Double Naught Spy:
Boar can be dangerous, but for the most part, they will opt to run away as opposed to fighting.  The exceptions to this are when they are wounded, cornered, or being handled.  Few gun hunters get hurt by boar, but hog-doggers and knife hunters do much more often.  This is because they are in physical contact with animals that don't want to be handled, often that are already wounded.

This is the only real time that I have experienced anything approaching aggressive behavior on the ground. 

SamShooter:

--- Quote from: Lifeguard on Nov 30, 2009, 11:21:38 AM ---I was wondering how agressive and dangerous wild boar can be?  I hunt in Northern Saskatchewan and the local outfitter just had his boar get away on him and now there are boar EVERYWHERE.  I shot 2 during my week of deer hunting and 1 during the elk season.  They are of course not a native species up here and I was wondering how dangerous they can be and how aggressive they are if you come across them in the bush.

--- End quote ---

Yup. It can be a bit dangerous especially if you haven’t done it before. First time I went hog hunting , I was with a friend who has years of experience under his belt. I suggest studying their behavior first. They can be quite smart, so you got to have your guard up. Feral hogs in some states are troublesome. No matter how many you hunt, you just can’t keep their population down. That is why in some areas in the US they’re quite liberal when it comes to the bag limits and seasons. Stay safe!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version