Author Topic: The Reloader's List  (Read 5496 times)

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
The Reloader's List
« on: Aug 20, 2004, 05:12:43 PM »
I started reloading with my father when I was still sitting on his lap. My job was to make sure the empties were clean and shiny and eventually he taught me his tricks and secrets to making good bullets.

Sunday mornings we went to The Genesee Conservation League to test the loads we had made.

He used a 3 min. egg timer, one of those little glass ones with the sand inside to time between shots.He'd take a shot, open the action, blow the smoke out of the barrel and turn over the egg timer. I never saw him shoot more than 12 rounds in a session. He shot 3 shot groups and used 25 yd , 22 targets with about a  2" bullseye.

I was allowed to shoot  when I was 12..those were club rules. My first  group at 100 yds out of his Remington Model 722, .222 was under 3/8". He had taught me well.... How to breath, how to gently hold the rifle, how to squeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. He taught me to ignore the previous hole in the target and concentrate on the aim point (we were shooting for groups). H e taught me how to shoot...1 shot at a time.

My egg timer beeps now, but I still shoot the same way. My reloading equipment is far and away better quality than his ever was, my choice of powders, bullets and calibers all but limitless, but the proof is still in the group.

Here is a starter list for reloading equipment.  I prefer RCBS from my experience in the Industry and many years of personal use. It's high quality and repeatable accuracy is complimented by outstanding customer support and available products. Certainly, there are other manufacturers out there producing fine products, RCBS works for me.

While RCBS offers kits to suit the casual reloader , some items become rapidly obsolete as the addiction takes it's hold on you. I suggest a step up from the start. So here goes.

Assuming that you want to reload for rifle cartridges;
Rock Chucker Supreme Press;
Why a single stage press rather than a turret press?
Single stage presses eliminate the possibility of misalignment between the die in the turret and the cartridge, a must for accurate loading.
Uniflow Powder Measure ; for gross powder drop
Powder Measure/Piggyback Stand; to hold the Uniflow
Powder Baffle; meters the powder into the measuring cylinder
Powder Trickler; for fine measurement
Powder Pro Digital Scale (110v); Faster easier and better than balance scales
Powder funnel; for filling cases without spilling

Case prep ;
Tumbler; to clean fired cases ( this does not have to be RCBS there are many effective, less expensive tumblers available)
Trim pro manual case trimmer; for trimming fired cases to length
Primer Pocket Brush Combo; for cleaning primer pockets
Deburring Tool; for removing burrs from inside and outside of the case
Case lube; I use Hot Shot spray lube...keeps the case from getting stuck in the die
Hand Priming Tool; for priming prepared cases
Flash Hole Deburring Tool; for removing burrs from the flash hole left from manufacturing
Kinetic Bullet Puller; safely removes bullets from loaded cartridges
Dial Caliper; for making the measurements necessary for reloading. Buy a good stainless steel dial caliper.I use an  RCBS  every day at the shop.
Case loading block;for holding and separating cases during loading

Well that's most of what I use for reloading great bullets for my 25-06, .7mm-08, (and my favorite) .223

There is one more invaluable item to the reloader, new or old, and that's books. Buy them ALL! The Hornady set of reloading manuals is a great start.But...get them all, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Barnes, Sierra. You'll learn a ton from these references and you'll be able to communicate with other reloaders  more effectively.

Feel free to ask some questions. One thing is evident....I do love to make fine bullets.

Keep your powder dry ;D
RG

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2004, 05:16:34 PM by RGFIXIT »

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
Re: The Reloader's List
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2004, 05:03:12 AM »
Geez, I hope I didn't scare anyone :P
RG

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2004, 09:54:15 AM »
Where does one order this stuff from or can it be purchased at a gun shop, Or should I just send the checkbook ;D ;D

Thanks for the time to put the list together for us.

Steve

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2004, 02:56:58 PM »
RCBS does have an online store and any good gun shop can supply you as well. Hang on to that checkbook.
RG

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2004, 05:10:57 PM »
Thank again RG but as always theres another question following an answer.  What in your opinion would be the best bullet (brand and weight) and powder to start out with.  Seems like there is so many choices that a helping hint on where to start would save someone a bit of money.  Also would a chronograph be needed or not really a big deal for the amateur.  Thanks RG, as always.

Straight Shot's to all
Steve

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2004, 05:56:32 PM »
Steve,
I wouldn't be without my chronograph. It's the only way to check the  consistency of your bullets.

Velocity is the only real way to determine trajectory. (You already knew that) ;D

I don't load 22-250 so I'll have to do a bit of research on powder.  If I can find data for Accurate Arms 2015 BR it will be my first choice. It's a very consistant (are you seeing a pattern here ;)) short rod powder. Short rod powders result in fewer crushed and broken granules in the loading process. The Bench Rest powders are higher quality, cleaner and contain fewer impurities. That all equals a better burn rate.

Bullets? Nosler ballistic tips are my favorite because they are so consistant.  I favor longer, heavier bullets because they stabilize faster in flight.  Their Varmint bullets in 55grain would be my first choice for your gun. They have a very thin copper jacket and expand rapidly on impact. Most importantly THEY'RE CONSISTANT IN WEIGHT :P

I'll get back to you with some powder reccommendations.
RG

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2004, 05:21:05 PM »
Cider,
 Glad to help.

Steve,
22-250 load
I suggest trying
29 < 33 grains of 2015 BR Accurate Arms Powder to start.

ALWAYS
Start out at the lowest powder weight reccommended and load up in .5 grain incraments.

As you test fire, thoruoughly inpsect each fired case for signs of excessive pressure such as flattened primers, deformed necks and streaching at the case base.

RG

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:58:05 AM »
Thanks RG for the pointers, and when I return I'll look into getting the equipment you listed.  I'll bring my Cabelas and Bass pro cat's with me and might start ordering while overseas.  It'll give me something to do and I might get set up in time to start shooting this winter in between Icefishing trips  ;D ;D 

Steve

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2004, 08:02:01 AM »
Almost forgot!!!!  what chronograph would you reccommed?  I've notice quite a few different one's and once again your expertise is appreciated. 

Steve

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2004, 08:27:26 AM »
I use a Shooting Chrony Beta Master.
Check them out at,
http://chrony.ca/english.mv

Bob

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2004, 11:07:14 AM »
Holy Cow!!!!  I just went on a website for reloading supplies, There are more choices to choose from than I imagined.  :o :-\   Looks like I'll be spending an easy $1500.00 for all the "Good Stuff".  Not that bad but as RG stated somethings might become obsolete as one progress'es into this sport.  I don't mind spending money, but I do hate wasting it on something I won't use in a couple months.  :-\

RG, If you would email me on the MFR address with your shop's phone number.  I'll email you in a minute with a couple ??.  I'm starting to get excited 'bout this.

Steve

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 24, 2004, 05:20:44 PM »
Great info RG!!  Very informative for the novice and experienced reloader.

Steve, I used to get alot of my supplies from Midway.  They had good prices when I shopped around and compared.  Maybe RG or someone else with more experience can offer up some more good suppliers.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2004, 05:22:35 PM by PA_BOWHUNTER »

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2004, 05:59:44 PM »
Midway is a great source
Here's a couple more

http://www.wideners.com/#

http://www.huntingtons.com/

RG

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal