Author Topic: Finding New Rifle Loads  (Read 23034 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Finding New Rifle Loads
« Reply #45 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
I'll find some TAC to try out. The R-P was fired in my M77 already, so it was formed before it hit my sizing die. I was planning to set the head right at the lands, just touching.

Yeah, the 24" bushmaster upper over a timney drop in trigger makes a nice rifle, and sharp with the boyds laminate furniture. I have to fit a different scope for bench shooting, but I have one or two kicking around. Not something I want to carry around all day, but for setting up to snipe 'yotes I think it'll work just fine if I can dial in a 300yd round.

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #46 on: Sep 26, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
I am not sure what your budget is or how strong your interest is but I'd suggest looking at Lee Precision.  I have mostly lee reloading equipment to include 2 single stage presses.  I didn't break the bank either.  They are quality presses and supported by very good tech support and warranty.  The other reloading presses mentioned on this thread are all very good ones as well.  I boughtmy Lee equipment over the last couple years as it was affordable for me.  I have no gripes against Lee Precision.
A. White

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #47 on: Sep 26, 2014, 07:43:34 PM »
I wound up with an RCBS rock chucker. I have some Lee gear including the case prep center.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
Figurered I'd revive this thread instead of making a new one. So I bought myself a big bore for my birthday a few weeks ago. Now I finally have the dies and two bullets for it. But load data is scarce. The rifle, you ask? Its a ruger m77 hawkeye alaskan in 416 ruger. The standard load is easy to get data for. Unfortunately it uses a 400 grain copper jacketed steal cased lead core. I am trying to find data for a 350 grain barnes TTSX. The best info i got was a link to a guns and ammo article as a response to an inquirey to Barnes. Unfortunately he didnt use varget or imr4064 as I'd like to. So, does anyone here happen to have the "QuickLOAD" software that can run two quick loads for me? Or any idea where else I can look for info? I bought the latest Hornady load manual since they developed the load with ruger, but they only have data for the 400's. I'm going to pick up some of the powders the one guy used, but I'd like to try the varget eventually.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
Don't know anything about what your talking bout but welcome back to the site Steve.......... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
Thanks Raquette.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2016, 05:39:12 AM »
Try opticstalk.com there are lots of reloaders  there. Great bunch of real shooters.

Just went back to 2009 and couldn't find any posts on the .416 Ruger on opticstalk.com.

Try Rokslide.com there are lots of shooters on that forum that hunt the western states and Alaska and use lots of big bore rifles in bear country. Maybe a better choice.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:22:37 AM by peddler »
Peddler

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
Thanks Peddler. I have a few loads I can try, but I'll give Rokslide a look.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal