Author Topic: new  (Read 4452 times)

Offline flagnut

• Spiked
new
« on: Jun 01, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
I'm a new trapper.i was really hoping that any of you guys can share some tips to a newbie
i love to hunt

Offline MrMarty51

• Forked
  • Huntin`s the name,gettin`s the game.
Re: new
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
Welcome. 8)
The only thing I know about trapping is just remember where Ya set em so`s Ya dont get sprung up in Your own riggin. ;D ;D ;D

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
What do you plan on targeting?  Muskrats are the easiest for starting out with.  Raccoon and Coyote are plentiful enough around central New York.

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2008, 05:59:10 AM »
just know it is not cheap to get set up when you start and it takes a lot of practice to get good at it the best thing for me when I started last year was to pay attention to a guy I kow who traps who helps me out a lot good luck
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline flopumrdsxpats

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:31:51 AM »
my dad and i just started trapping here in nh and we have learned a lot from Sullivan's Trap Line web sit. There are all types of discussion boards and stuff on there. have fun and good luck.

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »
also nothing beats hands on experince
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
I just started two years ago & have come a long way. Man can it be frustrating at times. My advice is too HAVE FUN with it!  If you're enjoying yourself you'll do well.  To start try placing 110's in narrow areas in streams to take Muskrat & the occassional Mink. Look for areas where there is a small "Channel" that the current flows through and place a 110 just off the bottom.

Here is a great site dedicated to New York Trapping; these guys will help you a ton...

http://nytrappers.proboards80.com/index.cgi
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008, 05:15:50 PM by Issiah »

halfrack33

« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2008, 08:31:57 AM »
I have never trapped either but would really like to get into it. I've never had an interest but figured i love everything to do with the outdoors so why not add one more activity. i'de like to start with coyotes or foxes. ive had some on my trail camera and found their den so i have a good idea of where to start. would i need another license and what would be a good size trap for something that size and do you bait the traps? i know that deer often go right through this area and do not want to get one of them caught up in it... thanks

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
I got into it for the same reason Halfrack & I bet you'll love it! You will need to take another course (I think it's 8hrs) & buy another liscense 16$.  I would suggest buying books & researching on the internet; better yet find an experienced trapper to help you. There is trapping convention's that have demonstrations that will help a ton. There isn't a legal land trap in NY state that would hold a Deer; you have no worries there. a 1.75 - #2 is a good  Fox / Coyote trap. There is many ways to try to get them to step where you want them to.

Check out that NYTRAPPERS forum! I asked lots and lots of questions on there; a lot of those guys are very experienced trappers & they are very patient with new guys and usually answer questions. Books too....Read...Read...Read

I'm startin to get the hang of things nowadays and will try to answer or help you find the answer's to stuff; just PM me...

http://nytrappers.proboards80.com/index.cgi
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008, 05:13:57 PM by Issiah »

halfrack33

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »
great, thanks for the help. i've actually been reading for the last hour or so about them. seems like i should start with a 110 connibear and maybe try for muskrat or set on in a box baited for rabbits. they're pretty cheap i found a 1/2 dozen for like $7 on ebay which would get me started at least. im sure itll fill in the time between hunting and ice fishing if anything. then perhaps a legohld trap for foxes, yotes, etc. but ill keep reading and thanks or the info. when u trap muskrats do you eat them after or just take the fur? i heard they're just as good as rabbits and are sold in some markets as "marsh rabbits" or something but most don't want to eat them bc they look like a rat lol.(searching for the next course right now)

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:40:17 PM »
Some guys eat em'; I never have, but If someone cooked it I'd try it. Looks like rabbit meat The carcass' make good bait for minks & fisher too...  Now that you brought that up maybe I will try one.  Yeah, the 110's are real cheap and easy to use. Bet You'll enjoy it & might even make a little cash on the side.

halfrack33

« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »
great im pretty excited... ill keep posting here in case any one in the future can use it. can you give me any info on a site where i can find more on skinning and preparing the furs. i know i have to stretch them inside out over boards and such but i can't find any sites with a good tutorial or pictures. i've never even skinned anyting myself just seen a few animals done. i think ill head to a bookstore tomorrow to see what i can find on all of this too. thanks

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2008, 03:33:30 AM »
Here's a link to probably the most common set for Fox & Coyote  "Dirt Hole set"
http://nytrappers.proboards80.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sets&thread=3663&page=1#24440

Here's some info on Fur handling...
http://nytrappers.proboards80.com/index.cgi?board=furhandling

If you go the one of the Trappers Conventions or Rondy's they usually have excellent Demo's on Skinning your catch. Usually You will be "Casing" the pelt.  A lot of this will be explained at your Trapper Education Class!   I still have my book from the class. It's a little wore from some serious use! But if you want I could send it to yah?  Just P.M. your address

Offline Duce

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »
Issiah I've been reading your post and replies. Just wanted to let you know that you seem to be one of the most positive and helpfull guy's on this site. Keep up the good work. In regards to eating muskrat, not sure I want to eat any thing that looks that much like a rat in my barn :-\ :-\ As far as starting out trapping it can be expensive if you go all out. Fortunatly some good people have given help and advise and we've picked up a few used traps here and there As I've posted earlier under my previous name I'm starting again after a 25 year break and I still have not caught a muskrat. EVER!  I have, along with my son, managed skunk, possum, coon and fox. This year our goal is at least 1 coyote and hopefully a fisher.  Good luck to all
                                                                                                                                                            slt

halfrack33

« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
I agree completely and i never got to thanks you again Issiah for all the help. fitting in the course this year will be tought as im trying to do the whole full-time college/working at the same time but im excited to start. thanks for the offer on the book but it seems you will definately still have use for it and i'de hate to take it. i'll get one when i take the course anyways but i really appreciate yout offer and all the help and look forward to seeing some more of your pictures. oh, and for the muskrat, once you get over teh fact that they look like a rat, they really are supposed to taste great. they eat good food just like rabbits and might be worth a try.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal