Author Topic: best baits  (Read 5729 times)

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
best baits
« on: Oct 18, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
what is everyone's favorite bait for mousetraps?  i know cheddar cheese out of a lunchable has worked for me in the past, and also some cheese off the top of some pizza worked last week.  i've heard butter is good too. 
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 11:41:25 AM by BottomDweller »
~it's a stump, it's a tree, no it's me~

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: best baits
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2007, 11:52:56 AM »
Peanut butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2007, 11:55:46 AM »
Half a peanut, wedged into the trip gets them every time. Peanut buttter works good too, but they can steal it without tripping. It's that time of the year. ;D
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »
anybody ever try spot & stalking 'em?

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »
earlier this week when my only mousetrap got thrown out, i spotted another mouse in the wee hours of the morning just before it darted behind a shelf.  i grabbed the nearest thing to me, a wooden walking stick, and chased it around for a while before cornering it and downing it.  didn't get pictures before flushing it down the toilet.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 03:51:58 PM by BottomDweller »

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
just set two of those newfangled plastic traps where the spring is totally enclosed so all you have to do to set it is squeeze and bait.  baited them with a half-peanut stuck to peanut-butter.  we'll see tomorrow morning how that works.

Offline luckyduck22

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2007, 03:16:25 PM »
for the spring ones i use a piece of dental floss and wrap it around the bar and you rub peanut butter on the floss so it takes them a while to get it off and when there workin at it it closes

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
I just let the cat roam around the basement  ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2008, 08:51:59 PM »
I had good luck with chocolate

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:04:11 AM »
the best mouse trap in the world I think is a five gallon pail with two holes drilled in ethier side about a inch from the the  top and then a peice of twin run through one end then a hole poked in the bottom of a soda can and run out through the top and tied to the other hole then  about three inches of water in the bottom and a board leaninig up against the bucket to the edge of the twine clost to the soda can and then cover the soda can with peanut butter they try to either stand on the can and roll of or put their weight on the can when they reach to grab the peanut butter then they drown pretty quickly works great at say a camp if you are going to be gone for about a week as it will catch more then one without having to be reset
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 04, 2008, 09:54:36 AM »
anybody ever try spot & stalking 'em?

No, but a couple of times at our cabin my father inlaw and his brother have shot them, its alot like deer hunting just smaller, and indoors, and at night. Theres nothing like being in a remote cabin, to be woken-up with the father inlaw standing over you with a gun ??? :o

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
 :D

Offline toecheese

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2008, 05:17:35 AM »
the best mouse trap in the world I think is a five gallon pail with two holes drilled in ethier side about a inch from the the  top and then a peice of twin run through one end then a hole poked in the bottom of a soda can and run out through the top and tied to the other hole then  about three inches of water in the bottom and a board leaninig up against the bucket to the edge of the twine clost to the soda can and then cover the soda can with peanut butter they try to either stand on the can and roll of or put their weight on the can when they reach to grab the peanut butter then they drown pretty quickly works great at say a camp if you are going to be gone for about a week as it will catch more then one without having to be reset
This is the best trap every invented i caught 22 mice in 2 days with a similiar version only differance is i use a beer can. and great for a remote camp just use a little antifreeze in the water and it will work all winter.

Offline Mainiac

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
Peanut butter is the best

Offline tbirdbassr

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2008, 02:02:50 PM »
a piece of bread in bacon grease traps are never empty til they're gone

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal