Author Topic: Funny Hunting Story  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
Funny Hunting Story
« on: Sep 29, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »
I was hunting a new stand location on for the third time Monday morning. I had gotten some pics of some small bucks showing up routinely on the camera in late July/early august but they had vanished since the season started and I hadn't gotten much action on the trail camera for a few weeks. So I had decided I'd go in and hunt for a little while then move the stand a couple hundred yards to a new spot. Well it was about 8am and I was antsy not having seen a deer yet this year. I headed down the tree left my bow and pack on the ground, and dropped the stand down the tree. I was half way down the tree pulling tree steps and wouldn't you know in comes a doe walking right at the tree. I froze in the tree at about 8 feet off the ground and the doe literally walked within 5 yards of the tree.  I don't know that I have ever been closer to a deer. Thing walks around, stops 10 yards broadside in a wide open space where my tree stand USED to overlook. It milled around for about 10 minutes, stomped a couple times but never took off in a hurry. She eventually sauntered off and all I could do was laugh and shake my head. I felt like I was living in a cartoon sketch.  I can't wait to pull that trail camera card, there may be a pic of me pinned in a tree with a deer walking around.....Hope it's not a sign for what the rest of my season is going to be like. Hope you guys are having better luck than me.

Offline NHAngler

• Forked
Re: Funny Hunting Story
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2015, 10:19:17 PM »
Good story. Yes they will make you work for them for sure.

This year I had a night that it was getting too late to make the trek out to my spot with the climber and instead opted to hunt on the ground on a nearby area that I could see the stand sight i was going to sit from. It was about 150-170 yards or so away and I saw a nice buck come out and hung around the tree that I was SUPPOSED to sit in. He was there for 15 or so minutes and within feet of the tree. He left. Two does come by a bit later. Then another doe and another doe. My lesson for the day was to NOT do yard chores in the afternoon when I should be in my tree stand. Same night I had a deer come up behind me just downwind of where I was sitting and wheezed / stomped at me from 30 feet away. Going to guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time when the right place and time existed?

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2015, 06:43:22 AM »
thats a bummer man, like you said laugh it off its all you can do. youll get another chance at one. good luck.
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline sweet lou

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2015, 05:18:41 PM »
I had a good one last night myself . I had not seen a deer yet went in around 3;30 pulled the card from my camera and headed to the stand. Climbed up hooked my harness bent over and pulled my bow up. just as I was nocking an arrow I looked to my right and there is a doe standing there watching every thing I did. Had to move the stand this morning. Hope to fool her tomorrow.
if you can't mount it on the wall mount it between yor teeth.

Offline bikrsrule

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2015, 05:56:07 PM »
This happened to me last week, not real funny but I will let you be the judge.
Went down to So.Carolina for a week of hunting, it us much different down there (deer numbers) We got to the farm to hunt a bit late and I did see a nice 8 run across a field. My friend told me to take the "condo stand" so I headed down the lane to the pole he told me to go to and saw no stand but had passed a nice although low stand on the way in which was on the left and my friend had said "on the right" Sat in the wrong stand for a hour or so and saw nothing. Got a text from my friend that I knew had taken up a stand in the field that would have been to my back and he said to keep a eye out cause he saw a buck heading for the tree line in front of me. Opps, I am in the wrong stand, texted him and sure enough. I got out and walked past the pole and to the right was a 18 foot high tree house with stairs, beauty of a stand. Got up in it and looking to the left of the field saw a nice 8 run by about 150 yds out..not 2 mins late he walks out into the field and stands broadside, I rest my rifle put the crosshairs behind his shoulder and bang..He just stands and takes a step to the left, I bolt in another round place the cross hairs a bit back to compensate for him turning to the right and bang, He runs off. I am kicking myself wondering what could have happened to my rifle I had just sighted in and fired plenty to be sure. Well, not 10 mins later I see a 8 point that I thought was the same one run from right to left the same as before so I just sit, in 5 to 10 mins he walks out and stands broadside so..of course..bang, well he spins around and hobbles off hit very well.. I feel much better. A while later we go to pick him up and I tell the other 2 guys what happened and they say..well we know you can shoot so we think you killed 2, well after finding the second shot at deer in just mins just into the wood line we kept looking and low and behold we find another 8 piled up about 50 yds in..
2 8 pointers in 20 mins..not a real funny story but I thought I would share..Awesome deer heard down in So. Carolina..in the zone I was hunting in there is no limit on bucks from mid aug to dec 31st...
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015, 05:34:56 PM by bikrsrule »

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »
bikrsrule that is an awesome story congrats on the bucks.
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2015, 02:22:17 PM »
What a wild story! I can't even imagine hunting with deer numbers like that. I'll have to take a trip one of these days.

Offline bikrsrule

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
That was a slow week, I was there at the end of the rut and it had gotten warm and the deer werent moving very well, it is a awesome place to hunt!!! Back next year for sure!!!!

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »
nice
no information

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
Haha! Nice work Mark! Ok now I double dare you… do that here! Jk nice work bud!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal