Author Topic: Question about changing barrels .... need to sight in rifled barrel each time??  (Read 5606 times)

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
I have a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel with a scope.

Now that goose has reopened i will be changing the barrels back and forth.

I was told it isn't necessary to sight the rifled barrel in again each time i take it off?? 

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
I always shoot mine 3 times after I change barrels just to make sure and have never had to adjust anything....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Mine always holds zero just fine and never needs readjusting, I suppose if I were you I'd check it the first time at least. But mine stays true
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline jperch

• Forked
There really is no reason why the point of impact should change on an 870.  The action locks to the barrel, not the receiver.  Most folks would not check the point of impact after every cleaning, right?  With that said, it's a good idea to practice and it may give you confidence.  I have found with slugs one must really know where they hit at 25, 50 and 100 yards.  It can be surprising!  perch

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
Thanks.   I thought that was the case but wanted to verify after missing yesterday.  I hit the range after that and it was clearly a failure on my part.  I was dead on earlier this year and was concerned i had an issue   

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
I always shoot mine 3 times after I change barrels just to make sure and have never had to adjust anything....

That's $10 a crack with stinkin Sabot slugs at $17.99 plus tax for 5  ???

Offline jperch

• Forked
Slugs have become very expensive, for sure.  My 870 loved the remington buck hammer slugs.  They were very accurate and inexpensive.  Unfortunately remington stopped making them!  I think they were popular, probably not profitable.  A company in Pennsylvania makes a similar slug, called a laser I believe.  Not quite as cheap as the buck hammers, but close.  The sabot is bonded to the slug.  Thanks to the new laws in NY I can't order these online now.  perch

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
That's $10 a crack with stinkin Sabot slugs at $17.99 plus tax for 5  ???

I know..  There the slugs I use only because they shoot great in my gun.....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal