Author Topic: Interesting experience to end the gun season  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
Interesting experience to end the gun season
« on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:29:13 PM »
What a day it was today! Windy as all heck, but they were moving. Saw 14 deer in total.
I took the muzzleloader for one last trip, knowing  all the while that my firearms buck tag already filled and it was does only, which I figured I'd fill another MTag.
About 8am, a decent 4 pointer comes in to 35 yds and feeds for 45 minutes. I wanted to work a particular direction up over a little ridge. Not caring about what the buck does, I get up and start to move along. Super crunchy. He looks up at me for a minute, then keeps feeding parallel to me not caring, and eventually moves off. His lack of reaction was Pretty unexpected this late in the season.
Next was what blew me mind. I move another 10 yds toward the hill, look up, and there's a wide 8 pointer standing just 30 yds in front of me! He just looks at me and does nothing! Starts feeding and taking a few steps here and there for the next 20 minutes.  I'm curious now, so I walk toward him. He knows I'm there and let's me crunch in to 20 yds. I start fumbling with my phone trying to take pics and video. I was completely blown away that this monster doesn't give a crap that I'm there. He eventually slowly moves up onto a rocky outcropping and to my surprise, there's the 4 pointer walking in right next to him, like buddies. I notice the bed at base of ledge, so he was apparently there alI  morning. I keep moving up hill to get an even better look, and this big  8 let's me crunch right in to 15 yards! Very Up close and personal and he didn't care one bit. So bizarre! I don't think I've ever had that happen while on the ground that close in my 30 years of hunting.
 So that was my very odd but super cool experience today. What an adrenaline rush looking eye to eye that close with a stud buck.
I let them move off and I went to find some does.
Half Hour later 10 came by me 100+ yds through the timber, no shot. 2 more ran up to me 30 minutes later, added another one to the freezer making it 4 total for the season.
One more week of Bow to go. Good luck to those finishing it out this week. 
Its time to start getting the ice fishing gear prepped.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2020, 07:37:53 PM by Huntnfish603 »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Interesting experience to end the gun season
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2020, 07:59:33 PM »
That’s awesome! Congrats! It did suck out there lol.

It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »
Awesome day! That buck did that because he knew you didn't have another tag to put on him!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2020, 04:00:23 AM »
Was kind of curious too, if anyone has ever had a similar experience?

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2020, 04:05:52 AM »
That’s awesome! Congrats! It did suck out there lol.

Wow Frank..Now that's an up close and personal encounter.... you're getting good with the selfies bro..lol
I can barely work the camera forward.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2020, 04:07:29 AM by Huntnfish603 »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2020, 05:00:13 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2020, 09:04:58 AM »
Was kind of curious too, if anyone has ever had a similar experience?

Had a similar experience over the weekend had a buck and a doe together that i could not get to leave a section of woods to where i could shoot safely but they did not want to leave and could give a rats ass i was there. finally gave up when they walked into a back yard.

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »
Never had anything like that happen personally, but I’ve heard the same story. I swear they know what tags you have, lol.

And yeah my jacket from Saturday is still standing upright on it’s own in the porch! Had to pry the frozen pockets open Sunday to get my grunt tube, haha

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal