Author Topic: Grind  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Dirt23

• Forked
Grind
« on: Nov 30, 2020, 06:15:24 AM »
Haven't updated since youth season been a tough grind this year for me.  With enough acorns to roll your ankle on across the whole town  I feel deer could be a little more selective on how they moved.  First weekend of muzzleloader let a couple of glorified spikes go didn't want to give up precious NH gun tag yet.  I told myself would like a mature creature.  Muzzleloader passes by lots of does not connecting with bucks first weekend of rifle have a nice 4 point come by really struggling not to give him the news especially since there is no more venison in freezer.  Let him go down the hill then panic I need meat starting ,hit grunt tube bring him back and let him know he's trespassing.  Buck comes back still couldn't bring myself to squeeze with almost 3 weeks left.  Keep on grinding still in does but not seeing bucks. The wife this year started showing interest in whitetail so did her online Hunter safety but there was no shooting dates to complete course so got her apprentice license.  Thanksgiving wife's first hunt drizzling morning sat couple hours no deer, woods being nice and quiet did a little pussyfooting around found a bunch of fresh scrapes on oak knob boom tomorrow morning plan is set.  We waited till first light hunt are way to stand foggy woods are wet and silent get to spot around 7 clear leafs out plunk down. We are sitting back to back to cover whole area around 8 as I am looking down ridge spot a deer 40 yards and closing look at wife gun is on her lap.  Quickly start sizing up got horns honey get your gun up she finally does and waiting for shot deer makes it's way around rock outcrop so I bleated to try to bring him back .  He makes his way around outcrop she spins around gets gun back up deer still 30 yards of less I bleated again when I thought he was wide open to stop again wich he did unfortunately my opening looked nothing like hers deer finally got nervous and bounded off.  After all excitement asked her why she didn't shoot and her response was she was so excited her eyes went blurry and couldn't focus.  Great first experience I was glad she got to feel the fever.  Also forgot to ad I'm carrying bow she has gun. The wife is now hooked couldn't wait to get back out next morning same spot other direction big buck comes cruising out of hemlock I start to draw bow dumby he's at 60 yards Jess Jess big buck behind us this time gun up and on fire she wasn't comfortable taking walking shot as I'm on vibrate telling her shoot  keeping on his route was gonna disappear tried a few grunts to bring him back but unsuccessful. Getting down to wire I said I wanted to shoot mature buck but also put time limit on said if I haven't got it done by turkey day anything goes freezer looking worse every day.  Last night despite warm temps went back up around 2 it was pretty quiet till 4 when noticed deer zagging my way and another and another and another and another they are acting pushed spin around shoulder up and here comes #5 was hoping racky was rounding corner but it was a small 3 I gave him the news he was not welcome chasing girls around.  Hopefully ole lady will have redemption before end of season

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
Re: Grind
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:43:19 AM »
Sounds like you've had some good action at least! Hopefully something will come together for your wife.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:19:26 AM »
Sounds like plenty of good action. Yea some times it's tough waiting for "the right one" when there's no meat left in the freezer. That's why I cherish my 2 bow tags for early season. Then i can be more selective come November.
Also, way to go...That's awesome your wife has the interest. Hope she can connect! Good luck to her.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2020, 02:01:48 PM »
Good deal!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal