Author Topic: Deercation is Over **Video Added**  (Read 2224 times)

Offline benny8

• Forked
Deercation is Over **Video Added**
« on: Nov 30, 2020, 03:46:56 AM »
October 30th was my last day of work for a month. Hunted the muzzleloader opening weekend and Monday. We never saw a deer those three days. Saturday morning got a message from my Dad in Va that he had killed a big one. It was his first big racked buck and he did it all by himself. I was so happy for him. He said I wish you would have been here to celebrate with! Little did he know, that we were on our way on Tuesday morning to surprise him. We didn't hunt down there, but I brought my video camera to go sit with him. We also went for some road rides early in the mornings and got some video of bucks chasing does. Dad and I never saw any deer in the stand, but had a great time. When we returned to NH we had our first official deer camp at the Shamp. There were few deer sightings during those four days. I jumped on deer still hunting alone. Other than that, there was lots of sign, but no deer. We left Shamp on Saturday evening. Everyone had a great time. Sunday morning, my buddy Rob called me and said he had killed his target buck. He had been after this one deer for a number of years. He finally achieved his quest for 200. I continued to stand hunt for almost two weeks with one day of still hunting with Rob. I had logged a ton of hours on stand with nothing but tons and tons of turkeys. I had asked Rob if he felt like taking me out still hunting the Saturday after Thanksgiving and he said no problem. I have been a stand hunter most of my hunting career, still hunting in the big woods was very intimidating for me. I had always aspired to do it after reading Larry Benoit and Hals books, but lacked the confidence. Rob has taken me under his wing and pushed me out of my comfort zone. He sent me a text on Friday night saying "Tomorrow is going to be a day to remember." I asked him if I should take the Ruger American Predator .308 or the Turdy Turdy. Being a lever guy, he said "you know what my choice would be." I had recently acquired my Dads old JM stamp Marlin 336. This summer I removed the scope and installed a Williams Peep. I painted the front sight blaze orange. I shot it at Shamp and was hitting good with it. So, I decided to take the ol turdy turdy with me to at least make me feel closer to Dad. We got going at just barely daylight. We found some punched up leaves and some warm deer poop. We followed the tracks in the leaves across a brook and up onto and old log road that was full of picky bushes. We slowly made our way up the logging road stopping frequently to look for movement. When we reached the end of the logging road that opened into an old cut we stopped. Rob was leading the way with me behind him. He was looking left when I asked him if he heard something walking. He said no its just a woodpecker. I looked to my right and caught movement. It was a deer's back on the outskirts of the cut about 40 yards away. I told Rob there is a deer over there. I quietly stepped around him and he knelt down. Rob then blew a few grunts into his Fam Bam Outdoors grunt tube. Through the brush I saw a rack as the deer ran up the hill and stopped in an opening to see who was grunting. I took the shot and to my surprise he just stood there. Rob said give him another! I levered the action and this time took a split second longer to make sure of my aim. I fired and the deer bound up the hill and stopped behind some evergreen for a second and then crashed off. I turned to Rob and said I think I missed. He confirmed that I missed the first shot, but thought I hit him with the second. I told him the second one felt better. Once I pulled myself together, we headed for the hit site. It was about a 75 yard shot. When we got into the area, we confirmed a clean miss of the deer, but a solid hit of a big ol oak tree. The buck had stopped with his head and neck behind the tree, but the rest of his body exposed. Rob took a few steps back behind the tree and found pinkish red blood that looked like tempura paint. He says we got good blood and I get super excited. It is short lived as it peters out to little dots. We mark the spots with tp as we start tracking him. He got to the top of the hill where I last saw him and made a sharp right back into the mixed hardwood and softwood. Once in there, the blood picked up and he was laying about 40 yards away. A wave of emotions hit me at that point. It had been since September 25th that I had seen a deer that I could possibly shoot. I had logged a ton of hours with no sightings and now I had shot my first still hunt buck with my good friend. It was 803 am and it was the first time in a long time that I was able to just give thanks to the deer and God and bask in the moment. We got good pics and Rob got a lot of video. He was a big six point with no brow tines that was rutted out without a stitch of fat on him. He weighed 133#. It definitely was a day to remember!
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2020, 06:37:07 AM by benny8 »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Deercation is Over
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2020, 04:44:06 AM »
Nice work Aaron! Great deer and great shooting. Awesome write up!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2020, 05:12:28 AM »
Very nice...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Dirt23

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2020, 05:21:01 AM »
Way to grind it out sometimes can be tough to keep on keeping on when deer depression has hit. Perseverance usually pays off congrats

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2020, 05:27:20 AM »
Congrats to you and your Dad. Thanks for sharing...h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2020, 06:05:24 AM »
Awesome write up! And congrats to you. You put your time in, well deserved.
God i love  ole lever guns too.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:29:19 AM »
Congrats on the buck and your dads as well !

Hard work pays off

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2020, 07:39:14 AM »
Congrats on the deer! Sounds like a great vacation and some great memories that will last forever!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »
Great write up and great deer!!

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »
Some nice deer there. Congrats!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2020, 06:16:53 PM »
Simply Awesome! Congrats to both of you on some nice deer!

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2020, 02:39:58 AM »
Thank you everyone!

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »
For anyone interested, here is a link to Rob's YouTube channel video of my hunt:
&t=532s

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Re: Deercation is Over **Video Added**
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2020, 08:38:06 AM »
Great video!!  good commentary

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
Re: Deercation is Over **Video Added**
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
Great video!!  good commentary

X2. Great stuff.