Author Topic: Early Season Calling Tactics  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
Early Season Calling Tactics
« on: Sep 25, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
I've seen some fresh tree rubs in one of my hunting spots.  Was thinking about trying some calling next time I'm out. Any one ever have any luck with early season calling (grunt tubes, can calls, etc.)?

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Early Season Calling Tactics
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
Deer use vocalizations all year, soft grunts and bleats can work anytime.Fawn bleats work good on does.  I would hold off on breeding sounds like tending grunts, estrous bleats (can), etc. I only use them early to bring deer in closer that I have already spotted.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
What he said. Fawn bleat works great early season for does called one in last weekend with it.  Also saw a fawn bleating and a doe came running into it.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
I don't blind call much this early but have had luck with light grunting in the past to pull bucks into range this early, cans work well on does this early too.

Not all, but some of the fresh rub sign you are seeing is just from bucks rubbing the last of that pesky velvet off the last few weeks
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2014, 05:31:47 AM by aquaassassin »
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline EarlySunrise

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Its funny you wrote this message; I went to a gathering last night on this type of stuff at Fish and Game Headquarters in Concord. Didnt have much going on so I ran over after a walk in the woods. It was all about scents, calls and rattling, and specifically geared to early season. Dean something(cant remember his last name) came from Northwoods Common Scents and he went through a bunch of stuff. Mostly scent stuff, since he is the scent guy, but still good stuff on calls and rattling too.

Seems like right now the doe bleats are working to bring in those eager/inexperienced spikes and small bucks. The fawn bleat is working bringing in does, and therefore hte smaller bucks. Checking whos new in town I suppose...

It was a nice bit of info he spoke about. Nothing revolutionary but really good info and focused to NH and the Whitetails around here. Guy loves what he does. Especially nice to get break up the week a bit and get into it a bit.
Sometimes you've gotta burn the barn down, in order to see the moon again.

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »
Cool, all good info, Thanks.  I'm going into my third season bow hunting and it's turned deer hunting into a year round obsession for me now.  So much to learn.  I tip my cap to you guys that routinely put multiple deer on the ground!

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
I personally don't start calling until rifle season here in maine. I have messed around with a few calls during archery season but they didn't ever seem to have any positive effect on the deer. usually it was a negative one at that. they would either just look around and be as they were or they would get nervous and take off. one time a little buck just froze solid for a good 10-15 minutes after a couple light grunts, wasn't sure if it was starring at me or what, but then he continued on his path. Once I know the rut is close is when I start letting the buck roar roar across the swamps and wait for the crashing noises. Nothing better then getting a swamp donkey to come trotting in cockier then ever to be met by the business end of a firearm.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2014, 03:45:46 AM »
You've had luck with the buck roar? Was always curious if that actually worked
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
You've had luck with the buck roar? Was always curious if that actually worked

Best grunt tube on the market IMO, the original that is. I've called in more with that tube than any other, use to like the true talker but this one won't squeak like the true talker if you put to much air into it, and it doesn't stop working when wet like the true talker
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
Best grunt tube on the market IMO, the original that is. I've called in more with that tube than any other, use to like the true talker but this one won't squeak like the true talker if you put to much air into it, and it doesn't stop working when wet like the true talker

X2, Best grunt tube I have ever used, Awesome tones from it whether your doing short quiet tending grunts, or hammering on the thing. It doesn't squeel like all the other grunt tubes I have ever tried. Loudest one that I have ever found. Loud isn't always good but when you want it to roar across a swamp or in really thick stuff its awesome.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal