Author Topic: Who’s getting ready?  (Read 4238 times)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Who’s getting ready?
« on: Aug 09, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
Finally had a day off today. The wife and I’s wedding anniversary. She wanted to sleep in so there was my window, Woke at 4:30, got three stands hung and prepped before 9 am beating the heat. 60 degrees when I started and already 80 when I got home. Another half dozen to go and I’ll be ready for the mid September opener barring I don’t need to tweak anything. In a bit behind with how busy it’s been and this crazy heat this summer but I’ll be ready.

What say you?
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Who’s getting ready?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2020, 05:07:07 PM »
I say happy anniversary  to you and your bride buddy...... 
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2020, 02:15:07 AM »
Happy Anniversary Bud! Mama and I have been up to Shamp preparing a couple food plots and we have some cameras out soaking. We've got mostly does and lambs right now, when we have had a buck parade in years past. Problem was they disappeared just before bow season. Hoping maybe their lack of presence will mean more sightings during the season. We are planting Whitetail Institute Double Cross in one plot and Antler King Radishes and Turnips in the other. We have also been working on some special projects that I will PM you about. Getting closer!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2020, 04:26:09 AM »
Thanks Fellas!

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
One silver lining to all the Covid crap was I actually had time to go out and do a bunch of early spring scouting in some new areas which I never seem to get to do. Got my cameras out early in a few spots. Few small guys on cameras so far, not sure where the big guys are that left all that sign behind. Excited about hunting some new areas this year.  As usual I flip the calendar to August and start to panic. Hopefully get a few stands out this weekend and keep shooting, shooting, shooting. I usually try to start shooting in April, for what ever reason I didn't pick up the bow until late July this year. Starting to round into form though, I think I'll be ready.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »
That’s August anxiety hits me hard too!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »
Got one more weekend of softball then kids are done. been scouting a bit did have a buddy of mine find a shed out in his back woods he thought it was cool because it had 5 points i thought it was cooler when he gave me permission to do whatever i want back there (he doesnt hunt) so a thirty pack is in his future.really looking forward to getting back there to do some scouting.. Good thing you started this thread didn't even realize only about 5 weeks till opener damn!! time flies now i got the itch real bad.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »
Sheds, beer, permission to hunt. I’m in  ;D

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
Happy Anniversary,lucky mine is in the middle of November,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!
2 cameras out and been scouting,just bought another ladder stand-two person stand for me and my pack and what ever else you carry up it,shot my
bow this week a few times,pulled out 2 rifles and dusted off the scopes to take one of them Big horn sheep hunting in October,I would like to switch scopes,put the Nikon on the Rem 700 .270 and the Vortex on the Rem 700,30-06 but I don't feel like waisting ammo on sighting them both in again...
and lots of deer on my cameras......

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »
Nice! Where is the sheep hunt?

I planned the wedding in the dog days of August on purpose lol

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
Well, I'm behind as well. my preseason game plan hit some snags. Like some others, work has just been crazy right through July . Did manage to get some cams out, trim a few trails and clear a few shooting lanes.
But....then 2 weeks ago blew my back out at work. Couldn't barely move until last weekend. I can get around on my cane a bit but I got some recovery to go. Doc says no major damage, just PT and muscle relaxers in my future. So the doc says I can go back to work on "light duty" for 3-6 weeks...lol. I'm like , light duty doesn't exist in the heavy construction world pal! What now?   Upside, Boss man is ok with me coming back this week and just sitting in my truck giving orders gettin paid, atleast for the next 3-4 weeks. Drives me crazy sitting around laid up thinking about what I'd be doing in the woods...lol
So looks like Ill be finishing my prep with stands and getting to shoot the bow way later than I wanted.(who knows, maybe I'll just take the crossbow if I'm not feeling comfortable with the bow physically by the starter.)
Is what it is. Despite everything, I'm pumped for the season like usual. I get giddy come Sept 1st and i'll be hunting come the 15th, even if I'm not "ready"....lol
Good luck to everyone finishing up their prep!!!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2020, 07:11:00 PM »
Heal quick Jason! Wish I didn’t know how you feel. Glad surgery is not needed. You’ll do fine. That’s great your boss is understanding, I had the same deal no such thing as light duty, all or nothing. Heal quick brother!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2020, 05:43:50 AM »
Heal quick Jason! Wish I didn’t know how you feel. Glad surgery is not needed. You’ll do fine. That’s great your boss is understanding, I had the same deal no such thing as light duty, all or nothing. Heal quick brother!
Thanks Frank! Yea I know you know the feeling X 10!
Just grateful this didn't happen end of September or October. I've got some time to heal. I'll friggin hobble out to a ground blind if I have to, one way or another I'll find a way to be in the woods come Killin time.
Although I'm sure once I'm healed, bossman will be pushing 60 hrs a week on me to catch up on the workload...lol

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2020, 06:00:16 AM »
 ;D

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »
I have started to get ready, and to me I feel way ahead, but I’m realizing perhaps not so much from the other posts, lol.

I have some cameras out, and also have all of our wood done for the year which in itself is a big win. I think I’m about to drop some coin on some new stands, and I hope to have them hung before Labor Day. Also cleared some shooting lanes, and have a few more to clean up in the next few weeks.

I normally don’t start with anything hunting related until Oct 15th or so, but this year I’m going to squeeze in some hunting with the fishing.

One wrench in the puzzle is I put a lot of time in last year scouting the area I hunt, and getting deer patterned. Well come this year we now have a mountain bike trail/park in the area. A million new trails, all the scrub brush cleared, and people riding around at all hours of the day. It’s going to be interesting to see how they react after I felt like a had decent handle on them last year. Not to mention with covid everyone under the sun has picked up a new local outdoor activity, and the amount of bikers boggles my mind.

Still, I can’t wait.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal