Author Topic: NEWCOMER to DUCK HUNTING  (Read 10081 times)

Offline King of Pymatuning !

• Nubbie
  • You gotta kill it , befor you grill it !
Re: NEWCOMER to DUCK HUNTING
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
Whats up Rebel !  Duck and goose hunting is one of my favorites ! Here in NW PA there is a decent amount of waterfowl hunters but over all hunter #s are dow 20% . Most of the heavy hunting pressure is early in the season here but thins out petty quick as other seasons start to open . The serious hunters like that cause it eliminates the sky busters and gives you a chance to work them into the decoys . Looks like you had a good time in NY . Who did you go with ? I use a Browning Gold semi 10 ga. and a Ithica Mag 10 , but the 11-87 is more than enough gun to get the job done . And for decoys , some times less is more . You dont need 10 dozen decoys to be succesful . Unless your gonna do alot of snow goose hunting , their pretty shy birds and large spreads tend to be the rule of thumb .

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2013, 02:18:53 PM »
Congrats on a great hunt rebelfisher  8) must agree with stuck on seven. get a good call and you wont regret it, both goose and duck. decoys, get some Texas rigs as they are the easiest to use that i have seen in a long time. i have been running the new storm front double duty decoys and love them. i hunt our small private pond and find just a dozen works fine. mojo's seem to scare the birds in our area so i leave it in the garage.

As for goose hunting i have tried the el-cheapo decoys and found out real quick you get what you pay for. i finally invested in some GHG full body decoys that are fully flocked. the fully flocked body helps on the frosty mornings from preventing the dreaded glare of your decoys. the only bad part about these decoys is you need to be easy on these or you'll rub the flocking off the decoys. but there painted underneath the flocking if wears off.

our blinds are the same that you used on your trip with the double doors. and also the power hunter's with the flip up hood. we usually hunt green hay field's so i put the killer ghilli on all of the blinds and it save's on having to stubble you blind in the early morning.

usually once a year we would make the trip down to cabelas and somehow they always had the GHG decoy's in the bargin cave. best deal i have seen anywhere. $111 for 6 full bodies in FFD  8) keep your eye out for the decoys you like and it may surprise you how cheap you can find them.  ;D

good luck with your quest for some decoys and calls. its an addicting sport.  8)

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys! Looking forward to the new season already!

Nice to see you over here King! Glad you made the journey! ;D
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline King of Pymatuning !

• Nubbie
  • You gotta kill it , befor you grill it !
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »
If it involves hunting , fishing , camping or the outdoors im in ! Wish iwould have known about this site  sooner . 8) Only 164 days till early goose season starts !  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal