Author Topic: Goose Hunting Question?  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
Goose Hunting Question?
« on: Aug 21, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
There is a flock of resident geese that land in a hayfield near my house. They usually land next to a couple houses near the road.  I'm wondering if anyone had any input on how hard it would be to pull the geese away from where they usually hang out.   I'd like to set up decoys further back in the hayfield away from the houses and try to get them to land. Not sure how plausible this would be???

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Forked
Re: Goose Hunting Question?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2010, 10:30:39 PM »
if you can get into the same feild you should be good to go. total concealment is number one priority!! set your spread up away from the houses and work on some calling tactics but early season birds you dont need much calling at all especially if you are on their food source. now if its just one flock of birds coming in to the feild to feed it'll be tougher but if you have a few different groups hitting the feild it'll just appear as the first flight in found a bit of better food. the birds already feel safe in there so you just have to slide em out a little bit. you dont have to have them coming in and landing at your feet, if the birds are hitting the feild and its just one flock you will probably only get one shoot on em so set the deeks up where you want the birds will already be coming in low, but with a few deeks and a "couple" comfort welcoming clucks you can get them to swing in and at least check you out with in range. on the first pass if the birds seem as if they just wanna check you out and still hit the usual spot i would grind on em, if they are showing that they are in there and ready, yea shoot em like the "big boys" on t.v. but i would grind em on first pass....one flock of urban birds.... your gonna get one shoot 4 days later you might get another shoot if you grind em and get out quick. scout!! make sure its just one flock if not things will be easier for you and your buddies.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
I think there is two seperate flocks,  two groups of about 30 birds  they hang out about 100 yards apart near the two houses.  This is farm country, not urban by any stretch
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2010, 01:03:49 AM by Issiah »

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2010, 09:24:05 AM »
I think that you should be okay Issiah....that is if they are still using this field in 10 days.  The hard part about resident geese in September is their inconsistancy.  Especially once corn starts coming off their priorities change quickly, but may still use that hayfield as a loafing field.  Keep an eye on it and just make sure if you do hunt it that you are at least 175 yards from any houses around there.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline swillerjig

• 6 Pointer
  • Ducks and Bucks
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »
All you can do is try it!  I've come home many times empty handed :'(   But always learned something every trip.  Good luck and get em  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal