Author Topic: ?????????  (Read 2793 times)

Offline oneshot

• Nubbie
?????????
« on: Oct 22, 2007, 03:51:57 PM »
My buddy is moving and can not take his english setter with him. I am thinking about taking the dog so i know it is going to a good home. My ? is this. Can an English Setter be used for duck and geese retrieving..... just a ? to put out there. ALl and any feedback will be usefull.

Offline Swampbuckster

• Forked
  • I'm out of here, to the great outdoors.
    • Lower Michigan Hunting & Fishing
Re: ?????????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2007, 06:57:02 PM »
Hmmm, I don't know about that. I myself do not own a retrieving dog but would think that if they can be used for an upland bird dog, maybe they could retrieve ducks? Would they feel comfortable in the water all the time?
Say Fred, you go up that ridge......and I'll go down in the swamp.....we'll get that buck. -The Nuge

Offline northwoodsaddict

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:47:30 AM »
most hunting dogs love the water, as long as its not too cold. A friend of mine had a setter that he used for upland hunting that would regularly retrieve ducks for him, he was kind of a meathead so it would sometimes take awhile, but he always made the retrieve.
IceShanty=brookiebomber477

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2007, 10:49:31 AM »
If you are worried about the cold you could always get the dog a neoprene doggie vest.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2007, 12:20:07 PM »
The English setter is not built for sitting in a cold blind and doing multiple retrieves in icy water.  Its paws aren't even webbed.  One thing that separates a lab from other breeds is it instinctively retrieves, unlike your setter.  That setter might not even leave the blind and chances are good it won't see the birds flying in or mark the birds as they drop.    No, I would recommend submitting it (and yourself) to duck and goose hunting.   However, they are great for grouse, woodcock, pheasant....there is nothing sweeter than a rock solid point that gets held until you walk up behind the dog.  It's a thing of beauty.

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
I have a setter and I would say no, not say you couldn't train it ,but  as much as mine likes water I don't think he would hold up ,they are light skinned and thier coat is pretty fine.BB

Offline oneshot

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »
well if anyone wants a 2 yr old setter i could hook you up . My buddy wants the dogg to hunt. she loves going after brids and she points very well for never being hunted. Price I will find it out but whoever is intersted let me know by PMing me

Offline buckhunta

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2007, 05:34:54 PM »
where are u located
IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN
people that steal other peoples stuff  are lower than whale on the bottom of the ocean

Offline oneshot

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2007, 09:43:23 PM »
upstate ny

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal