Author Topic: BAITING DEER  (Read 36722 times)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
Re: BAITING DEER
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:57:53 PM »
Im gonna make the post in General Half Rack. I'll put it on tonight..
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

upstatehunter

« Reply #31 on: Nov 20, 2008, 05:07:05 AM »
walleyeguy, Would it have been better if that large buck was hit by a car or pulled down by coyotes as a lot of larger, older bucks are after the rut? Anyone can attest to how hard it is to take a large older buck in areas where feeding is illegal, and there aren't agricultural areas to draw them out in daylight hours.Texas has had feeding and deer management programs for years. They take only mature bucks or management bucks and a certain number of doe's. Agreed that their climate is ideal for deer survival, they still are a go to place for trophy bucks.

halfrack33

« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »
got talking to a local up here that got a 12 pointer on sunday heard he always gets a buck 8 or bigger asked him what his secret was he said i bait em all year bring em to where i want em and wait for em and pick which one i want i was so disquested at him i didnt know what to say i just laughed

i used to work with a guy like that. he tells me about all these bucks he sees and shoot... im not impressed. and thanks "steelie" ill check it later

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2008, 06:30:15 AM »
what kind of plots do you plant? im thinking of attempting one next year and know the basics. i was looking at some of the mossy oaks products and have heard of a few guys that have had good success with planting that.

Halfrack,most of the time by the time gun season the corn is so beat down it is no differant than shooting in a grown up pasture.food plots do attract deer in shooting range ,it really isn't much differant just a lot more work,we can't bait and I wouldn't anyway,but if its leagal then it's a personal choice.Everything eat from a bait pile as well as a food plot.A football Field is 1.3 acres,pretty easy to cover.

Offline walleyeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Nov 24, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
yea but the thing is its all farming lands up here they got plenty to eat he purposely feeds em to get em to come back day after day and then just shoots em not my idea of hunting when you can walk out your back door twenty feet see a deer eating and blast it and then go around bragging about how you killed a baited deer

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:34:43 AM »
yea but the thing is its all farming lands up here they got plenty to eat he purposely feeds em to get em to come back day after day and then just shoots em not my idea of hunting when you can walk out your back door twenty feet see a deer eating and blast it and then go around bragging about how you killed a baited deer

Just lazy!! :o :o

upstatehunter

« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2008, 04:43:10 AM »
What about the guy who is saving the deer from a terrible fate at the hands of a hunter. People around here have started doing that. Putting food out to keep deer close to communities and to their house. Are they doing the deer a favor or helping continue disease and predator's kill as the deer are congregated in a small area. Feeding does have pros and con's. We used to feed before it was banned, but only from mid December to around mid April when the snow was deepest and no hunting season open. As far as the hunting went, it was no better than it is now. We also saw more deer hit on the road, even though we were feeding over 500 feet from it. Most of the reason we quit.  An area can only hold so many deer, and most of the transient deer at the feed were back in home area by spring. We did though have a few bigger bucks, as they have better nutrition during the winter. I guess I feel, if you own the property, and don't violate game laws, (shoot at night or over limit) then why not hunt the way you feel is acceptable. The NY DEC issues a certain number of permits every year, knowing only a percentage of them will be filled. Wouldn't it be easier to issue only the number of permits you know the area will handle. It just seems funny to me that what works in other states is so frowned upon here. I know this may upset a few but, if I could put acorn rage or some other deer attractant out I would.  When my license is filled then I'm done, Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy matching wits with a whitetail buck. I would also enjoy seeing deer and shooting the one I choose to as well.

Offline walleyeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
im all for feeding em in the off season when hunting is closed but this guy does it year round so he can pick and choose what buck he wants to shoot and he doesnt do it to provide for his family he does it to brag about shooting a 12 pointer and getting it mounted in his trophy room if he was doing it for meat on the table for his family then fine but to bait em and pick em out like your picking out a car on a car lot is just wrong in my opinon its one thing to do that in the woods when you wait for em day after day but to bait em to get them to come to you every day is just not hunting

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2008, 11:44:55 AM »
upstate where did they use to feed all the yarding deer morehouse? I remember seeing videos of that when i was a kid there were tons of deer in those videos

upstatehunter

« Reply #39 on: Nov 27, 2008, 04:20:08 AM »
They were up the road in Indian lake. I was friends with "the deer man" . He would have from sixty to a hundred deer coming.
They did some back into Perkins clearing as well, between Indian Lake and Raquette Lake. I snowmobiled in there then and saw 100's of deer. Made you wonder where they all came from.

Offline nielsen326

• Spiked
  • whack em' n stack em'
« Reply #40 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:37:04 PM »
Great response...encourage someone to commit an illegal act!!  ::)  Who cares that young, impressionable minds visit this site and read that other people might be getting away with committing a crime.  Why not "hunt" your trophies at high-fence [butcher] preserves...it's equivalent in skill level!!  >:(

In general, food plots do not "lure" deer into shooting range...they provide an additional feed resource replet with necessary minerals/supplaments to maximize deer growth, both antler and health.  It requires considerable amounts of time and effort to till, plant, and maintain a food plot.   It's no different then hunting over acorns or on the edges of apple orchards/field crops because you cannot guarantee that deer will actively seek out a traditional food source.  If you have questions/concerns regarding this question...I would contact your local DEC office to confirm the difference between baiting and food plots...especially considering waterfowl hunting (different regulations considering baiting over harvested fields).

Footnote:  I do not nor have not grown any form of food plots...I rely 100% on nature to provide sustenance for deer, but I'm not a trophy hunter either so I don't care about premium antler growth.
well most peoples food plots arent huge they are just little food plots with in shooting range especially with a gun so it pretty much is like sticking some apples out in front of ur stand

halfrack33

« Reply #41 on: Nov 13, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »
you're still jumping all over food plot topic???  ::)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:43:01 PM »
comparing the 5 minutes it takes to dump a bag of apples in front or your stand to the months it takes to decide on and plant a food plot....... lol. 
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #43 on: Nov 28, 2009, 05:21:07 AM »
Funny thing, this spring in an area where it seems everyone feeds through the winter, we found seven dead deer in a 3 to 4 hundred yard circle. That's not the real funny part, the coyotes had not touched them. Birds had been one them but no dog tracks at all or piles of hair where they had been at them. We asked the local DEC officer if they wanted to check them to see what was going on, he smiled and said Not in the budget! I have been trying to talk with people from the midwest that may have some first hand knowledge of chronic wasting to see if the animals leave them or if they go after them just like any other dead deer.

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #44 on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:37:52 AM »
Funny thing, this spring in an area where it seems everyone feeds through the winter, we found seven dead deer in a 3 to 4 hundred yard circle. That's not the real funny part, the coyotes had not touched them. Birds had been one them but no dog tracks at all or piles of hair where they had been at them. We asked the local DEC officer if they wanted to check them to see what was going on, he smiled and said Not in the budget! I have been trying to talk with people from the midwest that may have some first hand knowledge of chronic wasting to see if the animals leave them or if they go after them just like any other dead deer.
Maybe it was the nice old lady who was tired of bambi eating her flowers and decided to bake him an arsenic muffin ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal