Author Topic: My First Hunting Trip  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Soupy1957

• Spiked
  • He Who Loves the woods, loves life!
My First Hunting Trip
« on: Nov 28, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
As most of you know, I'm a 56 year old married guy, who has been around "hunters" all my life.  Trouble is, I never had the time to hunt myself.

I started threads in here about it, and even posted links to my series on "So, You Want To Be A Hunter" from YouTube. (if you want to see the most recent installment, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDx9DJ9q2X8 ).

I ended up seeing a deer that came out in front of me about 15 yards, (startled us BOTH, I think) but the shot was not safe because of the background behind where the deer stood, so I didn't take the shot.  It was a modest 4-pointer, in good health (it appeared).

Came home to CT from upstate Maine a bit early, because my back was giving me trouble, and still had a couple of days to hunt here in CT.  So I scouted out a place in Colechester, and looked for a hunting partner to go out with me on Friday morning of last week.  Nobody around.  Yes, I could have gone "by myself," but being inexperienced, and appreciating the value of having a hunting partner along, for safety sake, I chose not to go on Friday morning.

Had a conversation with a fella not too far away, who had four Bucks hanging at his house that he was getting ready to skin, quarter and process, and he suggested I come by.  I grabbed my 105 Buck knife and went immediately.  Got my hands in on skinning and Quartering, and he graciously gave me a dozen Top Round Steaks (I didn't ask, he offered) that I marinated in Italian Dressing over night on Saturday night, and fried up with onions on Sunday for lunch.

Wish I could tell ya'll that I bagged the "big one," but I can't.  That's ok though, because it's about the woods, about the friendship, about getting "back up home," and all that.  I'm already planning for next year's hunting trip up there, and no just exactly where I will head.  If I time it right, I'll be able to get in a few days here as well, in that spot in Colechester that had 1500 acres of WMA.

-Soupy1957
"God and family first; THEN hunting!!"

Offline ferrarysan

• Nubbie
Re: My First Hunting Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2019, 02:55:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing nice story.  ???

Offline davers

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2019, 02:51:25 AM »
I have some  experience with rabbit hunting. I shot some of them.As I am newbie I use some additional tools like binoculars. I read review about one of them on review https://opticzoo.com/canon-12x36-is-iii-review/

Offline archipelago18

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2019, 12:43:13 AM »
Awesome story.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal