Author Topic: Airguns for small game  (Read 15877 times)

Offline viper75

• Nubbie
Airguns for small game
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »
Just wondered if anyone in here uses airguns.have taken my first rabbit with mine a crosman quest 1000 fps.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
Re: Airguns for small game
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:40:05 PM »
I have owned tons of airguns in my lifetime.I basicaly use them for plinking birds or skunks in the garbage.Never realy used them for smallgame before,but have shot squirrels,rabbits and woodchucks with mine.

I have bought the break barrel ones and were not satisfied with some of them.They kick as much or more than a 22 rimfire.And there scope mounts can not hold up if you buy a gun with cheap scope mountings.You need one that is tapped and drilled to take a scope,you live and learn.

Thank god for Walmart because you can always take them back... ;D

Offline flagnut

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:33:37 PM »
I want to start hunting with a airgun but all of mine are not worth going hunting with :'( :'(
i love to hunt

Offline sunfishkid

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:47:07 PM »
flagnut i know your pain  :'( :'(

Offline MasterAngler

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:07:54 PM »
I carried a crossman handgun, pump style, .22 cal, in my backpack for grouse when moose hunting.  It worked good at 10 yrds and less, I got several that year with it.  It was perfect for the situation since it didn't make any noise but I could still shoot grouse if I was close enough.  Definately not my first choice of weapon, but had its place given the circumstances.

I have owned tons of airguns in my lifetime.I basicaly use them for plinking birds or skunks in the garbage.Never realy used them for smallgame before,but have shot squirrels,rabbits and woodchucks with mine.
   Never really used them for small game?   ;D  Sure sounds like it to me.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 10:25:12 PM by MasterAngler »

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »
 I got started off hunting small game with an air rifle, shot a few rabbits and grouse and a lot of squirrels with my old .22 crossman before i was old enough to use dad's 12guage  ;D
It flies it dies

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »
Bought my son a Remington air gun for X-mas. He wanted to try that over using the .22 for squirrels. Needless to say there's 3 less reds and 1 less grey already in the woods behind the house. This thing is AMAZING !!!!  He's shooting GAMO gold pellets that are supposed to bring the velocity up to over 1300 fps. All of the squirrels have been 1 shot at anywhere from 20 - 35 yds. 
BANG, Dead squirrel. 

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2008, 06:45:52 AM »
I learned to hunt with a Crossman .177  I think it was a 760?   That was the "Best" hunting I ever did!  Taught me how to hunt; took many Squirrels and a rabbit or two with it.  It wasn't the most powerful pellet gun, but again I learned about shot placement & being patient. I think every kid should start out hunting with an air rifle ;D

Offline jasonmichalski

• Spiked
    • my photobucket page
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
I have 20 cal blue streak sharidan and I took me first bunny with it at 20 yards. With a head shot it never moved. that was about 18 years ago. Last year I rebuild the gun and my 5 year old daughter and I shoot it often.

My Bear Butt Photos

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »
Had an awesome Benjamin Sheridan .17cal, killed lots of critters, one rabbit was shot at 25yrds in the eye and just dropped still. some how I dont have that gun anymore and am pretty mad about it...looks like I will be buying a new toy this summer
Take a Kid outside...

Offline jasonmichalski

• Spiked
    • my photobucket page
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »
mine was pre-benjamin I took it everywhere, but it hasn't work for about the last 8 years but I found a kit online and its better then new. I put a red dot scope on it for my daughter she has a hard time with open sights, but found it works great on mice that get in our ducks food at night. I stand on the back pouch its up about 20' and with a light shine the mice at about 10 yards. It makes for a fun time and teaches hunting skills. The wife got a red from there too she said it came by her up a tree and she just hip shot it and it fall dead I thought she was joking, but I found it down on the ground with a head shot. It was her first kill and for all these years I thought I shot good, I now find out it was the gun , not me.  ;D ;)

My Bear Butt Photos

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
Had an awesome Benjamin Sheridan .17cal, killed lots of critters, one rabbit was shot at 25yrds in the eye and just dropped still. some how I dont have that gun anymore and am pretty mad about it...looks like I will be buying a new toy this summer

I had one of those.  I think its still up in my parents attic...  Do the make a seal kit for them cus it wouldnt pump up any more...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
Air rifles have come a long ways in the past 20 years all thanks to Englands high bang. Gun taxes and laws.  My buddy from Maine came over to muskie fish last summer and told me of his FX precharged airrifle.  I broke down and got a precharged, for Xmas.  Wow!  Almost totally silent, as powerfull as a 22rimfire.  It's a .22 cal his is .25 cal. Mine will shoot thru a fox squirrel at 50 yds.  No recoil so it has a nice 3x12 rifle scope on it.  Gocogle Airguns of Arizona. To check these cool guns out...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
The crazy thing is who wants to spend $250 on an air gun?? ;D   They are way cool...... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »
The crazy thing is who wants to spend $250 on an air gun?? ;D   They are way cool...... ;D

that is true, ive seen airguns well past the 500$ mark...i could buy a Winchester for that haha
Take a Kid outside...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal