Author Topic: So I shot a buck yesterday....  (Read 20293 times)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: So I shot a buck yesterday....
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
well that just sucks...thanks for the story and hope you get a bigger one now....

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2012, 08:15:55 AM »
That sucks man!!  >:( Darn Yotes!!!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
Here is the picture of whats left.... :o :o

Thanks bud. That's the first time I ever tried to use my camera/message function on the phone.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »
Sorry about losing the meat. Nice buck though. Were the people with the dogs an older couple?

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »
Sorry about losing the meat. Nice buck though. Were the people with the dogs an older couple?

yeah. they wrote the book on deer tracking.  This wasn't too far from you deposit. Shoot some of them coyotes for me will ya!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2012, 05:34:22 AM »
I'm not ice fishing this winter....waging war on coyotes!!! Tired of this crap!!Glad you were able to recover it at least....sorry for the loss of the deer though....just sucks!!!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2012, 06:25:29 AM »
When I shoot a deer, I do everything I can to recover it. I hate the thought of wounding a deer and not finding it. I'd rather have a clean miss. I think I amd going to buy my trapping license this year and really go after those coyotes.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2012, 06:30:01 AM »
I was going to look into taking the trappong couse myself. Seems to be the only way to really thin the numbers where I am. Once you shoot one or two they get much harder to kill.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2012, 06:56:43 AM »
Closest class is two hours away and this Saturday. Promised Heather I'd get her out shooting so she can hunt the following weekend. No trapping for me this year. Planning to bring my father over to my spot to try and get him on one of the bucks Saturday too, his hunting spots are having issues this year and he can't hunt at his house any more.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2012, 07:03:45 AM »
Trapping is a lot of fun, and a lot of work.  I found it very rewarding.  That being said, I haven't trapped since I was 18 (LONG TIME AGO :'().  I've had some notions of starting back up again, I just have to find all the old equipment we had.  I fear most of it has been lost or stolen.  My uncle and I used to run 300+ sets, the majority were water sets, and caught everything from yotes to muskrats.  We checked traps in the dark up until time for school, and then again after school until dark.  Then spent the remainder of the evening tending the hides.  If I were to get back into it, I wouldn't set nearly as many lines out.  A short land line, and a short water line would be nice though.  Good luck and take pics!

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
adkRoy...that is absolutely unbelievable!!  I can honestly say that I'm fortunate to hunt Western, NY where we don't have that kind of coyote problem.  I've recovered numerous deer taking more time to find them and the carcass was completely untouched. I also don't see the quantity of deer ticks here either...so I consider myself very blessed to live/hunt where I do.

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2012, 05:06:56 AM »
Sorry for your lost deer. 'yotes seem to be a big problem this year. Years ago it was never an issue to leave a deer overnight....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »
wow that is too bad...sorry man.

Luke

Offline PSC13

• Nubbie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
That sucks! i lost a deer to the yotes last year... and two years ago i had a guy come with his deer tracking dog to try and find a buck i shot and it was 26 hours later and it had rained and the dog found the deer. they are incredible!

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
I can stand on the deck and listen to them howl almost every night. During deer season(or anytime,for that matter, after some illicit rifle shot) I can tell where somebody leaves a gut pile by their chorus. But, I've tried hunting them three different times over a veal or beef carcass, and they don't touch it. I mean to the point of ALL WINTER! I just don't get it...
It'll chew...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal