Author Topic: Coyote Hunting  (Read 33891 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Coyote Hunting
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
If you want to keep the pelt, you might want to either use a smaller caliber rifle if you have one, or consider FMJs. If I don't find FMJ's that shoot the same as my SPBTs I won't shoot them unless I can get a broadside chest shot. Fortunately I wasn't interested in the pelt off this one, but this is what the '06 did with a 165gr SPBT hot hand load. The coyote was sitting facing me and I hit it in the chest. Sorry for the graphic image, but it's just to show what a wasted pelt it was. It was actually worse than it looks in the picture.

I see you gave that one the heat. ;D Nice congrats.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Coyote Hunting
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
Thanks stka.  Lots of good reading on that site!

Well I'm "0 for" after my first weekend of coyoting.  We don't have any rabbitts or hares in my area, wondering if using those distress calls is worth trying or a waste of time.  Also how do people start there calling sequence with a distress call or coyote howls, or what? 

Thanks!

I don't remember how the sequence starts, I think one of the two starts with a dying rabbit and the other with a pack of coyotes. If you don't have hares around try a deer/fawn distress call. This is their mating season, you can try 'yote calls too. I'm no expert, there's just a ton where I deer hunt. I'm headed out tonight decided to take the '06 and sit in my treestand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal