Author Topic: shotgun for yotes?  (Read 8887 times)

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
shotgun for yotes?
« on: Oct 14, 2007, 01:24:47 PM »
The coyotes are pretty thick in my area and dont see any hunting pressure, i don't own a rifle but have a 3in 12 guage, what shot size/choke do you guys think is adequate for coyotes, shots will likely be 40 yrds or less...can't use buckshot either illegal for varmints here
Thanks
It flies it dies

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
Re: shotgun for yotes?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2007, 02:56:25 PM »
waht about slugs? could always get a slug barrel or a rifled choke. Are coyotes condisderd varmits?
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2007, 06:03:30 PM »
rifled slug will do the job nicely ;)

Offline rondog

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:53:57 PM »
If your going to use a shotgun go with the BBB.If your hunting over bait or at night you should be able to get a little closer then 40 yds. and the BBB will do nicely.Slugs will kill them quick but tends to tear up the pelts.Before I went for a slug barrel I would look at a 22mag or a 17cal.

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2007, 06:44:37 PM »
 I might have to try out the BBB, slugs are also illegal on coyotes after deer season when i plan to hunt them the most
It flies it dies

Offline rondog

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2007, 11:58:22 AM »
Are you hunting over bait or calling ?and how are you going to do either ?

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2007, 07:46:25 PM »
 Here in N.Y.  I use #04 buck w/ full choke but There is a Heavy shot out there size #T shot its even called Coyote Killer [ or something like that]  , how ever I can't afford the heavy shot loads. Earlier mention of BBB is probably fine .  I've heard of people using 3'' mag #2 lead shot and doing well out to 45-50 yds.      If you aren't after the pelts slug'em , I shot them with slugs during our deer seasons and it really puts a hole in them, they don't go far  ;D    Good Luck

Wiz
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

Offline snelly

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
Here in N.Y.  I use #04 buck w/ full choke but There is a Heavy shot out there size #T shot its even called Coyote Killer [ or something like that]  , how ever I can't afford the heavy shot loads. Earlier mention of BBB is probably fine .  I've heard of people using 3'' mag #2 lead shot and doing well out to 45-50 yds.      If you aren't after the pelts slug'em , I shot them with slugs during our deer seasons and it really puts a hole in them, they don't go far  ;D    Good Luck

Wiz
I shot one this past weekend with a 12 gauge slug while deer hunting. My question is, what do you do with them after you shoot them? I shot it in the head and blew it's lower jaw right off, so a full mount is out of the question. My brother said I should leave the filthy thing right in the woods. But I brought it home. I talked with a taxidermist and decided to have it tanned. Just wanted to know what every one else does with them?

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2007, 03:29:23 PM »
A friend of my gf traps, he said he would take any that i happen to get if they werent to damaged
It flies it dies

Offline walleyeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
i use slug and small game loads i got a bolt action 12 gauge that holds 3 shells so i put the slug in the chamber then two small game loads in the clip just in case i s**t myself when its running at me and dont hit it with the slug i got the small game loads to back me up with a larger pattern

Offline JKneibel

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »
use 0 or 00 buck shot.  That way you can reach out and touch them. 
Pick a spot, squeeze the trigger...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal