Author Topic: Give thunder chicken a new meaning!!!  (Read 3623 times)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
Give thunder chicken a new meaning!!!
« on: Apr 27, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »
My buddy still had an early season tag yesterday, and when we finally got a break in the rain, wind, thunder and lightning we hit the woods.  Was on a spot and stalk mission, and the first spot had nothin, so we headed to another spot and on the way there it started DOWNPOURING BAD!! Along with thunder and lightning, almost turned around but figured we might as well go check, and good thing we did cause we ended up spotting some birds on this farm, quickly parked the car and headed to em in this now terrential downpour and ungodly thunder and lightning..  The weather helped to cover up our noise and movemnt and we got to within 100yrds very quickly of these birds, but still not close enough, so we back out and snuck around in front of the birds, on the way to getting in front of them I checked a roost area to find fresh turkey crap all over, so we snuck to the edge of the field to where we could watch the birds and waited. finally the sun started going down, and the birds were heading into our direction to go to roost, gave out a few small yelps on the slate call and put it away.  Then here is a hen, she walked about 5 yrds past us, then 3 more hens, 1 with a beard, and the tom we were after was holding up behind them trying to keep a Jake away from his girlfriends, finally the tom got the jake contained, and started coming our way, he got to 50 yrds and still no shot for the gunner although I could have taken his head right off and was sitting next to the gunner, he has brush in the way, so we let the tom strut another 5 yrds closer to us, gunnar said he is ready to take the bird.  Made some high pitched clucks on my mouth call, and the bird made his final mistake and put his head up in the air.  BOOM, dead turkey!  Got home to find out that a tornado had passed through about 10 miles south of us.......  Crazy hunt!  Glad to get this guy his bird! Called one in for em opening evening and he whiffed on the shot, his season is over, and mine and the girlfriends season begins this coming monday! Cant wait to get in the woods myself and get my spring bird! Pictures to come later on today, just thought id share the story.  Good luck out there guys!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Give thunder chicken a new meaning!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2011, 06:37:42 AM »
Cool story. Congrats to the hunter!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal