Author Topic: In a blurr!!!  (Read 7056 times)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
In a blurr!!!
« on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
Our 1st "spring" turkey season opened this morning, dad was the only one who had the 1st season license, i've been scouting 2 toms for em the past 1.5 weeks and was ready to finally put the hammer down on those birds!  Got out of the truck at 620 am and had about an inch of snow on the ground and still snowing like crazy, was a little worried that it would shut the birds off but thankfully we found a couple hot toms in this cold weather!  Had em gobbling in his tree at 645 am, so we settup about 80 yrds from the roost, got all cituated and I made 1 call on my Bully's custom slate call and down he came, gobbled 4 times on the ground getting closer each time, finally his 4th gobble and he was within 40 yrds on the field edge, I look over to see if I can find him and he is running down the field edge right to dad's lap, bird stopped at 15 yrds and dad gave em the lead treatment.  the whole hunt took about 15 minutes...  He's not a very big bird but still pretty nice, 10"beard, 1/2" spurs, and 21 lbs.  Now I get to sit around and wait for mine and my GF's season to open up so I can go put the smoke to a couple other birds i've been watchin!  Here are a couple pics, notice the snow during this "spring" turkey hunt!! haha

not what you expect to see April 18 opening morning of turkey season...
me and dad with the bird.

Get out there and start getting some birds guys!! Good luck to you all!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: In a blurr!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
Congrats to you both.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
Likewise...Congrats!!

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
Thanks fellas!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
Well done guys good job and great story

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
Good job guy's!!!
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »
gotta love it when it all comes together! gives you something to smile about on the days it dont! congrats guys, beautiful bird  ;D ;D
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2011, 10:44:58 AM »
Congrats  good to see someone else hunting in the Snow.... ;D

Offline hooknhunter

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »
Congrats on a great hunt!  Can't wait to see the pictures......... (can't view them at work).
Keep your gunpowder dry and your fishing hooks wet.

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
Thanks for all the comments!!  Glad you guys like the pics! Me and my buddy got bored today as neither of us have a tag for this season, so we went behind my uncles looking and listening for birds, got back there and i made a few yelps from my mouth call, that was quickly answered by the hammering gobble of a tom not 80 yrds away, we took a mad dash for my uncle's deer blind and got there just in time as 4 toms with 1 bearded hen came strutting into his woods and paraded around for about 20 minutes, i got it all on video, and we never spooked the birds, just waited for em to wonder back off, snuck out and we're taking a good buddy out there tonight to get em when they come back to roost!!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
Good Stuff Whitetail,,  Good luck tonight

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2011, 04:13:26 PM »
Congratulations to your dad...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »
Congrats to you and your dad. Howd you do tonight
icefishinman88 on the shanty

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
hahah well we had an eventful evening! First spot we went to, got all settup, i was the caller again, and had the gunner about 10 yrds in front of me, called 3 times on the slate call and here he comes, never gobbled or anything, just on a strait dead out run right to us, all of a sudden stops at 50 yrds and the gunner took the shot, hit the bird, but not enough to kill em. 

So off to the next spot, slow here, nothin but a few hens clucking and yelping, turn around and look and here is 3 toms with 2 hens about 200 yrds away, I get the gunner in position, but was worried b/c of the little swamp inbtwn us and the birds, I start callin and here they come, get right to the edge of the swamp, even walking in some of the water, pacing back and forth to try to find a way across the water, never closer than 60 yrds before giving up and heading into roost.  I knew that water was gonna screw us up, but there was no way we could have gotten around it without spooking the birds so I figured we'd give it a shot......  Very interesting opening day!  Called in 9 different toms, 3 singles, 1 threesome,  and a double...  Only had a gunner along on 2 of the singles....  We started off the season alright, birds were VERY active today, not much gobbling tonight, but a TON of tree talk this mornin!  Tomorrow is another day, and we still have unpressured birds to hunt!!  good luck to everyone getting out!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal