Author Topic: Recommendations for hunting clothes?  (Read 2710 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
Recommendations for hunting clothes?
« on: Aug 18, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
looking to upgrade my camo for the upcoming archery and rifle seasons here in NY. What's your preferred retailer? Any deals to be had or are we too close to hunting season for such a luxury?

I tried a general search and one of the results included the "Huntress Camouflage Baby Doll Lingerie" so clearly I need more guidance than what google provided...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
Re: Recommendations for hunting clothes?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »

Take a day trip to Cabela's in East Hartford Ct. Or Bass Pro. in Syracuse, NY. I still wear the traditional wool pants and
                   coat. I was given a Real Tree Camo outfit for Christmas and found it to be too noisy when still hunting!

Offline kevinmaine3

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »
I got some tic repellent clothing that's in real tree camouflage. Light pants and long sleeve shirt.  I like it a lot. I mostly bow hunt..
A few years ago I picked up a nice pair of Helly Hanson camouflage rain pants that are stretchy, at a bargain store. Love them pants, quiet and dry. I just found the matching top last week at the same store.. .  Only took 3 years..
All depends on your preference and budget.  A lot of tics near me so the tic repellent was a must.

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »
looking to upgrade my camo for the upcoming archery and rifle seasons here in NY. What's your preferred retailer? Any deals to be had or are we too close to hunting season for such a luxury?

I tried a general search and one of the results included the "Huntress Camouflage Baby Doll Lingerie" so clearly I need more guidance than what google provided...

Thanks in advance for any help!

absolutely no reason for camo unless you just prefer it, every day work clothes are fine, in 32 years full time guiding there hs never been  a time we thought, Oh, if e only had camo!....
buy what you like though.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »
absolutely no reason for camo unless you just prefer it, every day work clothes are fine, in 32 years full time guiding there hs never been  a time we thought, Oh, if e only had camo!....
buy what you like though.

Good point, thanks for your insight.
I am fine with what i have with the long gun, but would like to be able to conceal myself when hunting archery

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
My best hunting pants come from Salvation Army,Gray 100% wool dress pants,brand names,these are great when its wet out or some snow and not really cold out,and for $2.99 you can't beat the price and when they get really dirty or bloody you throw them out and get another pair out.

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2017, 11:27:56 PM »
Good point, thanks for your insight.
I am fine with what i have with the long gun, but would like to be able to conceal myself when hunting archery

no need with archery either.

I shoot turkeys with a white limbed bow, and just wering my normal work clothes with a finter, i was selling camo I'd be telling you how important it was, I was selling scent killer or lure I'd be telling you how important it was, I'm not selling nothing friend, so I'm just telling you the way that it is...don't need any fancy clothes scent lure, etc, watch the wind, spend time in the woods Seeing and hold still. animals don't walk round nervous theyd die of heart problems like humans if they did, they just go about their days calm and happy til something CAUSES them to be spooked, mainly movement.

Offline Alex De Large

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
For archery I use cheap wally world camo jeans with a long-sleeve camo shirt and light fleece jacket.  If I get warm I can remove the jacket and still be camo. I have a couple changes of clothes and either 1 of them is always in a tote with cedar boughs in it along with most anything I take to my stand. If archery were my primary hunting passion, perhaps I'd spend more coin on scent free clothing. If you're hunting deer, don't wear blue colors. Deer see blue as a glowing color to them.
For rifle season I've gone to wool pants. It's colder and usually wetter in the woods and after trying various fleece products, they don't stack up to wool IMHO. When it's time for a new jacket, I'll get a wool one as well. Got my pants at beans but woolwich and wilson also make great wool products.

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »
I have yet to get into the craze of buying $300+ camo. I've picked up most of my stuff from Walmart for around $10 for shirts and $20 for pants. December is a good month to look, normally everything goes on sale. I picked up a matching set of camo for around $40 there last winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal