Author Topic: Hunter shot in NY  (Read 13275 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Hunter shot in NY
« on: Oct 20, 2005, 07:44:49 AM »
A 77 year old guy shot his own son over the weekend up north during muzzleoader season in NY. The guy said he saw movement in the bushes and shot the bushes thinking there was a deer in there. It turned out to be his own son who was not wearing any blaze orange! The son was shot in the stomach and survived. Please wear blaze orange or blaze camo while hunting and really make sure of your target!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline tommyboy

• Nubbie
Re: Hunter shot in NY
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »
What would posess a person to shoot at a moving bush?  Are people really this dumb?  In a case like this, where there obviously is no common sense to begin with, I doubt a mandatory blaze orange law would have had any effect.
My guns have killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:20:42 AM »
What would posess a person to shoot at a moving bush?  Are people really this dumb?  In a case like this, where there obviously is no common sense to begin with, I doubt a mandatory blaze orange law would have had any effect.

I'm not one for mandatory blaze orange law but wearing a little orange while gun hunting makes sense.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:39:54 AM »
we had this happend here in southern vermont a few weeks ago, two kids ( by kids i meen late teens early 20s) were out bear hunting and the saw some movmetn in a black berry bush so they shot thinking it was a bear, it turned out to be a guy picking berrys, the kid was so scared that he left the guy there to bleed to death,i think they were charging him with second degree manslaughter but i havent heard anything in a while, i will let you guys know when i do
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2005, 11:11:48 AM »
How people could be that stupid is beyond me. >:(  I think we may have to start wearing blaze orange Kevlar vests while out in the bush anytime of year.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2005, 11:42:22 AM »
Idiots. It's bad enough to shoot into a bush or at anything you don't have a clear line of sight behind, but to then knowingly leave a person to die is unthinkable :(
Adam

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2005, 11:46:37 AM »
Charge him with attempted murder.
That is unacceptable behavior for any hunter.
Be sure of your target. That's pretty simple.
JMO
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2005, 11:49:16 AM »
Don't these people take hunters safety class? Maybe they are just to damn dumb to think in a situation where they get excited. >:(
Adam

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2005, 12:03:13 PM »
NO Deer is worth shooting at some thing that you "thought or think" might be a deer.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2005, 01:56:28 PM »
This type of stuff almost has to happen in the dark IMO. Blaze orange is easy to see even through brush most of the time. I personally wouldn't want to hunt in a state where it was not required. Rifle bullets and slugs can go a long ways, and I personally like to be able to see if someone is on a wood line etc 150-300 yards behind a deer. Not gonna happen if he's wearing camo. I know alot of you guys don't agree with the mandatory blaze orange regs, but I don't hink it's so bad. But, that's just my .02
Adam

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:27:25 PM »
I know alot of you guys don't agree with the mandatory blaze orange regs, but I don't hink it's so bad.

I shouldn't have to wear blaze because someone else is stupid.
If they shoot me I'll shoot right back. It's self-defense, right?
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:34:23 PM »
HOW do people shoot at something that they have NOT POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED as a kill zone of a totally identified game animal?  These things are totally unacceptable, and totally preventable.  Are these people not being taught the correct safety rules?  If they aren't aiming at a kill zone, where do they expect to hit?  Not only are they risking a poor hit on an animal, they are risking killing someone, as can be seen by these stories and others.  Do states & provinces need to pass out safety regs with licenses on a yearly basis?  I think in both cases, criminal charges need to be filed.  Damn scary to me...
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:35:39 PM »
I shouldn't have to wear blaze because someone else is stupid.
If they shoot me I'll shoot right back. It's self-defense, right?

dude, tough to shoot back if you are dead...
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline susky fisher

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2005, 03:12:48 AM »
Its kinda like defensive driving. Sure, I don't drive (hunt) like an idiot, but others may, so I have to be alert for the possibility that some idiot(s) may be sharing the road (woods) with me. Blaze orange shouldn't be required (we have enough laws), but its definitely a good idea! Anyone who accidently shoots another hunter has no excuses, no matter what the circumstances may be. Be careful out there!!

Andy

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2005, 07:19:29 AM »
People like that is why I hate to hunt on state land.  I could be walking with neon signs and and a blowing a trumpet and I probably would still be shot at.  City hunters.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal