MHF US Northeast > Hunting New Hampshire

357,44 mag and 45long colt

(1/2) > >>

bikrsrule:
Just trying to get a general consensus, I know we can now use the above named calibers for deer in shotgun only zones. My issue is the why only lever action, I do understand the carbine issue but they do make rifles in other actions for the above calibers. Anyone have a opinion or reasoning for this? Most levers in those calibers are really hard to find and very expensive..

aquaassassin:
Not a fan of the new law myself. I have a Ruger .44 May carbine that’s a sweetheart of a shooter and is useless still lol. My shotgun will out shoot any of those calibers anyway so no sweat for me.

I feel like it was a way to get all straight wall cartridges in the door to start and once they realize it’s not a bad thing they will loosen up on the law some more

Huntnfish603:
I don't really have a problem either way on this. You could always use those calibers before, just not in rifle form. Love carrying my super Blackhawk 44 from time to time.
My thought is it could just be another one of those efforts to get more involved? Some younger or older generation may not shoot a higher caliber handgun, but a lever rifle in these calibers is somewhat easy. Kind of like the whole crossbow thing. Another avenue to get more hunters involved possibly.
I am absolutely a lever guy. Love em. Have many. It's all I used to carry when I hunted Maine for many many years(the BLRs, 94s, and 336 sit in the safe for now) So for myself, i have tried and true weapons for my given area, I haven't even carried a shotgun for deer in 8 -10 years, muzzleloader is what I prefer,  but I could see where this could be fun(that Henry big boy X looks like a blast).
Interesting point as well Frank, that maybe its opening the door for something in the future.

aquaassassin:
Traded my 1895 guide gun in 45/70 it was a original Marlin, JM stamped. Traded for a 35 Whelen pump.

Ruger is now producing them for Marlin so I imagine they will be quality. If so I’ll buy another. I still rifle hunt a lot now that I moved to Maine. In N.H. I rub my muzzleloader ( Woodman arms) they are amazing. Come shotgun though I take my Ithaca, it’s a legit 200 yard gun so why not have 4 shots is my thinking.

Huntnfish603:

--- Quote from: aquaassassin on Feb 06, 2022, 08:03:03 PM ---Traded my 1895 guide gun in 45/70 it was a original Marlin, JM stamped. Traded for a 35 Whelen pump.

Ruger is now producing them for Marlin so I imagine they will be quality. If so I’ll buy another. I still rifle hunt a lot now that I moved to Maine. In N.H. I rub my muzzleloader ( Woodman arms) they are amazing. Come shotgun though I take my Ithaca, it’s a legit 200 yard gun so why not have 4 shots is my thinking.

--- End quote ---
Oh man. An 1895 guide in 45/70 is really the only lever I don't have that I always wanted. I used one when I was younger. Sweet piece.
My prize and fav though is my BLR model 81 in 08. It was a sweet piece for hunting the big woods of Maine. Like the 1895, great size for carrying 5-10 miles a day and shoots like a dream.
Maybe someday I'll hunt up north again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version