Author Topic: Rookie Question  (Read 4099 times)

Offline bobswitzer

• Fawn
Rookie Question
« on: Sep 11, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »
I was wondering if I could ask you all a question.  Last year was my first hunting season.  Used my brother-in-laws shotgun (870 express w/slugs) and I am hooked.  I am taking my bow course next Saturday and I am confused on what to do next.  I have 2 options and money only allows me to do one.  First is that I buy myself my own rifled shotgun or rifle.  I did all of my hunting outside Monroe County last year on family land.  The 2nd option is to buy a used bow and extend my hunting season.  Here is my issue.  I can bow hunt anywhere but my friends that bow hunt have been reluctant to ask me to go to their land because they want their shot at the big bucks they have followed.  I totally understand their feeling and I do not want to intrude. 

Everyone I talk to tells me something different.  I am confused as all hell.  Thoughts?  I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Re: Rookie Question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
I would say for now look at a gun. It's too late in the year to pick up a bow and be completely ready for the season as it takes lots of practice not just siting it in like a gun

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
Do you still shoot the 870 regularly? If you are comfortable with that gun and know for sure you'll be able to use it for a few more seasons I would probably lean towards a bow only because you have a firearm you are use to and already have. I could be wrong but Monroe county is southern teir right. That gives you from now and all of October to practice with your bow and still have 2 weeks of November before gun. Look for some state land. My 3 best bucks all came from state land few guys hunt it with bow. Hess is right hunting with a bow takes a lot of practice and patience for the right shot. If your not comfortable with the shot don't take it. Keep your shots within your means. My bow will shoot very accurate at 40 yards but I set my stands for 30
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2017, 07:25:17 PM by buckblaster »
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:00:06 PM »
all good answers! :D

you really could use the shotgun for more hunting than you can use the bow. waterfowl, upland, big game, etc.

so the one gun does it all is the 870, get one.

AND keep your eye open for a good used bow, because for deer hunting you cn get away with the bow for everything, archery, rifle (no reason you can't use it in rifle season) and muzzle season too.
also, in most cases you cn practice in your yard or neighborhood.

so, get the 870 and then get  bow..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal