Author Topic: When did it all begin?  (Read 55202 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: When did it all begin?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
Nice pics everyone keep them coming.

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
I started hunting and fishing with my buddies from the neighborhood I grew up in....most of their families were into hunting so I always heard story's of big bucks and going to hunting camps.....I stayed in my first camp at 12 years old and knew at that point I would always be a hunter...sadly I don't have many pictures of deer I have taken.....I started fishing around age 11 or 12 my friend Lloyd and I would carry our lanterns down to the racQuette river at dusk and fish for bullheads.....a few years later my grandpa would take me to Coles creek after I helped him finish chores on the farm.....he would even let me drive his new gmc truck n the way home :o. We had an agreement that I could fish as long as I wanted  but I had to return all the fish cleaned to him the next day  ;D I wish he was still alive so I could do that one more time

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Jul 06, 2012, 04:44:49 AM »
Good stuff Abe...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #33 on: Jul 06, 2012, 04:58:05 AM »
Real good stuff !

Peddler :)
Peddler

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #34 on: Jul 06, 2012, 06:17:11 AM »
I know you guys love these pictures.... :o

"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Jul 06, 2012, 06:46:56 AM »
I know you guys love these pictures.... :o

punky fro........you da punk!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Jul 06, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Gottta love them Dom...problem was their were no such things as cameras prior to those...we know you started earlier than that... ;D
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #37 on: Jul 06, 2012, 08:13:02 AM »
That's funny right there.............. ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Nice pics Dom... May 1978 I was taking my first breath

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #39 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
Nice pics Dom... May 1978 I was taking my first breath

I was catching shad.......... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #40 on: Jul 06, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »
I was 4, so I was probably sticking screwdrivers in outlets  :o.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #41 on: Jul 06, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
I'm sure I had a stickpole in my hand by age 3. I was finally able to go deer hunting with the MEN at age 5, my dad had to carry me across the beaver pond and the wool clothes were itchy.

The first deer I remember them getting was at age 6 and I spotted it from the back seat of a VW bus on the way to camp not far from home. It was an 8 pointer about 100 yds off the road in a sand pit. I said: "there's a deer and its got horns"; my dad pulled right over, his buddy Dave got out, ran up the hill, loaded and shot. The buck had ran to the far end of the pit and it was a long shot, it took a while to track but we finally found it. My grandfather and another guy were waiting at camp and wondered what happened; they were mad when they found out why. ;D To this day that woodlot near the highway doesn't hold deer, definitely was strange to see a buck there in the 70s when the numbers were way down. It was November and he must have been searching for does.

Here's a big smallie from July 1980, Lake George; I saw it swim by, ran to the next dock and made one cast with a Big O crankbait(still have it):

Have to look through my photos to find some old hunting ones.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012, 12:08:57 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Jul 06, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
That's a giant smallmouth. The one good thing about low deer populations is that the bucks have to travel.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #43 on: Jul 06, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
Started fishing in 1988 at age 2 with my dad and poppy at camp and on the st. lawrence, one of the first things I remember catching on a rod was a bull frog, but brook trout were right up there, then it moved on to drifting smallies on the big river, caught my largest though (over 7lbs) on a smaller lake when I was 10...I began walking through the woods with my dad at age, he was all ways the driver "Bucky" and "Buck's Nuts" are his nicknames, the man always seems to see bucks, which seems to be my case to, if I see a deer, it usually sports some bone. Started with a bbgun shooting frogs, birds and rodents, I have learned a lot from my father and his, just tagging along. When doing drives, you seem to learn a lot more because you see more, which is great for kids because it keeps them moving and interested, thats how I will start my son soon. I only recently took up stand hunting because I mainly bow hunt now, but something about driving at camp you cant beat. Started carrying the .22 marlin and the NE 20ga when I was 10, got into Bow hunting when I was 12 and my whole family shot in a league every week. Started shooting deer around that time too, been to Canada once hunting, and have shot several deer since then... I love it, I think about it non stop all day every day, and am thankful for my father and his, and his. Its a great passion to have for body and soul. Hopefully I can get into the ECO's and see future generations with the same passion.

Quite literally as I was typing this, FedEx showed up with my sons 3rd birthday present from me, its just a toy, but I got him a bow...He will be 3 on Monday, He loves watching me shoot and watching the hunting shows...figure we will work on form and safety and in a couple years he can have the real deal, then move up from there. I am so happy and proud.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012, 02:52:52 PM by jlaclair »
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jul 06, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
That's not fear Need picture of your pant legs short by 4"  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal