Author Topic: Moose Success!  (Read 5251 times)

Offline appleye

• Forked
Moose Success!
« on: Sep 16, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
I just returned home from moose hunting the last two days. What a blast. It took 31 years to get a tag and I think I got my moneys worth. LOL. I watched a nice bull the evening before and met a gentleman from Cheyenne. He told that he was going to be on that bull in the morning. The bull walked through his camp! I woke up after sleeping in the truck (It rained all night) to find a cow and calve 30 and 15 yards away. Went for a hike saw another cow and calve. I went and assisted with loading the big bull from the night before. Went and checked some spots and found two bulls together. No luck could not get close enough. About a mile up the road I found a cow with two bulls. I tried a stalk but the bulls were gone the cow stayed around. About 20 minutes later I met "Fred" and "Todd". Fred had a cow tag and had just blown a stalk. I told him about the cow I had just seen and took him back to the area. He score on a big cow. I helped drag her to the truck on my magic sled. Fred told me that if I got something down before noon today to find him and he would help get it out.

I put a stalk on another bull that evening but no joy. I learned don't come from below they blow out every time. I woke up and met a G&F biologist who told me about a big bull just up the road. I located him and got to about 45 yards and he heard me and blew out after circling around and getting my wind. He was BIG! I was feeling a little dejected and located another bull bedded. Again tried to come from below and he was gone. I slowed way down this time and starting to get frustrated. 

I take off and located another bull feeding. I put the big sneak and get 30 yards. Just then a calve moose blows and his momma come out of the swamp. She stops 20 yards away and the calve with her the bull is now 40 yards away. She burning a hole in me. After about 20 minutes the calve beds down and the bull beds down. I' m froze next to a tree. Another 20 minutes go by. The cow starts to leave and she about to get my wind. The bulls up looking. I go into hunt mode and went right after him "glucking" he thinks (I think) another bull is messing with him. The heads the other way and he doesn't want to leave the cow. I keep going and he moves and freezes behind a tree. He does this three time finally he's in the open and I'm 20 yards. One good arrow behind the shoulder. I watch him circle around and last see him bout 100 yards out. I thought I heard him crash. I'm a little wound up and decided to find Fred and Todd. As it turned out I'm 400 yards from there camp. LOL We head back the creek. NO BLOOD. Crap! I think it through and I could see blood coming out and I'm sure it's a good hit. We spread out the last place I saw the bull and 3 minutes later Fred found him piled up!

Fred,Todd and I dressed him out and drug him about 150 yards whole on a sled. We then hooked rope to the sled and drug it about 250 yards up hill with an ATV. WE parked the sled and moose on a hill and I backed under it. Loaded whole tied to my ATV. Sorry no pics of that. LOL I'm sure it was a sight! Two hours later the bulls hung up at a locker plant.

Thank the God lord for good people like Todd and Fred! Don't know if I will ever meet them again but it's nice knowing they are around.

The moose is 37" wide shot with a long bow! Getting the hide tanned and the head skull mounted.

Moose from night before.

Offline Wolley

• 6 Pointer
Re: Moose Success!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
Awesome job on the moose. Im going in 10 days here in Maine. What type of sled is that you used to haul the moose?
wake up America www.infowars.com

Offline JBC

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »
Congratulations, what a great hunt and story. You were certainly in the right spot.
Scouting does pay off.

Let us know how the liver was.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:24:03 AM »
Holy smokes you did do it with a long bow. 8) :o You are the man congrats on a trophy of a lifetime.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:56:47 AM »
Congratulations on the moose Apple...  Great story...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2010, 05:55:35 AM »
Hats off to you! Very nice

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:01:01 AM »
Great story and hunt. Congratulations on a great harvest with your longbow.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:18:11 AM »
That's just awesome, congratulations.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:31:38 AM »
Great job!! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!!
That's a trophy that will be foremost in your memory for ever.
Also, yes there may be a few bad members of our fraternity, but most of us are just like Todd and Fred!! Way to represent guys!!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »
Congrads,

10 days til I fly up to our cabin to hunt moose for the seventh year, I hope this will be the one. Told the air service that we will be in our lake that week, so hopefully our stuff will be where we left it and no other hunters in our lake.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
congrats on the traditional harvest! beautiful bull, my hat goes off to you.  how long have you been hunting w the longbow?
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline Woods Wise

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Awesome moose, awesome story, it sounded like the hunt of a lifetime and do it all with a long bow is a feat that many cannot state. Congrats! Thanks for sharing

Offline MountainMan

• Forked
  • The Painter
    • Zach Even Art
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
That's so cool that you got him with a long bow! Makes me want to start shooting mine again. Big congrats.

Offline er-e-is

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2010, 07:51:26 AM »
Fantastic!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »
I keep coming back to this post....Just a real good, all around model of what hunting is all about.
Traditional archery at it's best, and hunters helping hunters in their success.
This has my vote for post of the year so far. Will take a phenomenal post to top it.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal