Author Topic: Moose  (Read 3274 times)

Offline appleye

• Forked
Moose
« on: Sep 09, 2010, 01:53:43 AM »
So I've over thought this from about May on. I've watched and read everything I could get my hands on about moose hunting. Just curious if has any advice or thoughts or tactics. Two piece of info that has come to light from some people that have hunted Shirus moose. Wear black cloths to look like a moose and don't chase rumors, you waist time you could be glassing. My standards have come down as I really want to score with the long bow. I've shot since May and feel I can get it done.

So fire away. I'm DIY until I get something on the ground and I call the calvery (man I hope they show up!)

Scouting photo

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
Re: Moose
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2010, 05:07:44 AM »
Nice bull. Never have hunted moose or have even seen one. They rarely come down this far in NY.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2010, 05:42:49 AM »
Nice moose... Good luck with that quest...  But dont let this happen... ;D
  http://www.whitetaildigest.com/2010/01/31/moose-charges-bow-hunter/ 
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2010, 08:57:26 AM »
Sorry don't know anything about moose. An animal of that size with a long bow is a tremendous accomplishment in my eyes. Good luck to you.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2010, 09:55:05 AM »
That bull has some awesome fronts!! I'd be happy for the chance to hunt one. Let alone shoot one with my bow.
Good luck to you, by the scouting photo you know how to get close. Shoot well!!

Offline appleye

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
I love that video. When I showed my wife when it was on TV she asked what are you going to down then? Ah... duck. I guess the moral is don't shoot from the front . LOL

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
Best advise I could give is to shoot that one in the pic.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline appleye

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »
I hope I get that lucky. I have not seen him since the first of August. All of my friends have been looking, they took horses up last weekend and looked. Nothing. He was by some cabins and no one around has seen him. I have the time and will spend a couple days at first in his valley but.... I'm not going to die there.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »
Good luck with him or another if need be.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline JBC

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2010, 08:18:18 PM »
That is a very nice moose Appleye.

Just read an article by Dave Kelso in the Northwoods Sporting Journal regarding Maine moose.

He stated that the "first rut period peaks on or about Sept. 24. If you count out twenty days, which is the time frame a cow will come into a second heat, the next period occurs around the 14th of Oct. Count out twenty days again and the date is Nov. 3."

Seeing that Shirus moose breed from mid Sept. to mid Oct. it seems that the above would apply to your area. Check with your regional biologist to make sure and use that to your advantage.

Have you considered using scents such as cow-in-heat urine or bull urine?
You will find all kinds of info and tips here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/buckexpert1#p/u/3/WLZ6MUJruLc

One reason you may not have seen him again is probably because of all the hot weather we have been having.
Once it hits 57 degrees a moose will seek the coolest area possible and bed down.

Best of luck on your hunt and do post pictures.

Offline appleye

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I have the whole bow season so I hope to hit some rutting activity. My step son had an antlerless tag last year in the same area. Cold weather helps. Moose move a lot. More that I thought. They are almost always alone unless breeding or a calve.
I could not get the audio to work on the video I will try it at home. I did think about the hot weather, but when I took the photo it was 90 out. The biologist was not sure if he would keep using the same area. I will keep checking his valley, I hope he shows he's a great, old bull.

Thanks all, should be fun.

Offline hump

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
I passed on too many when I had my tag and ended up with a smaller one than two that I passed up on. Good luck. Best advice, kill one where it is easiest to get it out.

Offline Wyoming Larry

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2010, 11:24:14 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to have drawn 4 moose tags in Wyoming over the years.  And I have been along on several other hunts.  Hump has the best advice.  Kill one where it is easy to get to.  I will never again spend all day dragging out a moose in pieces by hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal