Author Topic: Turkey Hunting Treestand  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
Turkey Hunting Treestand
« on: Mar 21, 2006, 12:55:07 AM »
Question. I have not Turkey hunted in years. I get the outdoor channel and watch Turkey hunting from time to time I have never seen anyone hunt them from a treestand. I know they have great vision and if I  try with my bow why can't you put a decoy out and call from a stand. Do Turkey's look up? I have a light weight self climber stand and climbs trees pretty quick. Your thoughts!

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
Re: Turkey Hunting Treestand
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2006, 06:43:48 PM »
I have never heard of someone targeting birds from a tree stand. BUT- I do know someone who takes them during NY's fall turkey season, which happens to overlap with bow season for deer.
There is a big difference, because he doesn't call. He just takes the shot if one walks by.
Very interesting question!
It's worth a try, but I would reccommend keeping your calls to a minimum. Toms will be very suspicious if they hear a hen still up on roost... A ground blind would be a more traditional (and successful?) tactic.
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:41:49 PM »
it can be done, i wouldnt recomend calling from a treestand but like mike said if your hunting from one for deer and one walks by, let an arrow fly, be carful though a turkey has a weird kill zone and if you arent sure where to put the arrow from above you may have a wounded bird thatll die and never be recovered, or you can tear the breast to all heck and end up just killing the bird to say you did because the meat is destroyed. good luck to you and let us know how you do. i kill my first with my gun then go out with my bow for my second, and usually use my bow for fall turkey as it overlaps with bow season for deer. wichever comes by first gets the arrow.

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:57:37 PM »
Thanks guys. Of course I will be hunting this spring no deer season going on. I would think that a well place shot from above would be devastating. I will keep you posted. Starts April 1st.

Do you think a Turkey would look up?

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2006, 06:34:12 AM »
Actually I just saw a spring turkey hunt from a tree stand on the outdoor channel. I don't see why you couldn't hunt turkeys from a tree stand. I have had flocks walk right under mine. They do have good eye sight and will see you if you move up in your stand though.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal