Author Topic: superstitions/rituals  (Read 5211 times)

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
superstitions/rituals
« on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:11:31 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you guys have any superstitions or rituals?  I'm not really superstitious, however I do have a pair of "lucky pants" which I would say have accounted for at least 70% of all the deer I have harvested in the last 10 years. ( I only wear them 25% of the time maximum) I also have killed more deer with my bow by pulling the #2 arrow out of my quiver....the only time I ever shoot a deer is when I am using good old arrow #2.  Just wondering about the rest of you?

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
Re: superstitions/rituals
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:42:26 PM »
First year out, so if something works on Saturday, I'll be sticking to it.  ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:47:18 PM »
i have the had the same shirt and ham sandwich for the  past 10 years and i always eat pasties the night before i go hunting.
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
  • LIVE LIFE, HUNT, BE SAFE, AND HAVE FUN
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:09:52 PM »
that ham sandwich cant be good anymore dont eat it.  LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:22:31 PM »
i have the had the same shirt and ham sandwich for the  past 10 years and i always eat pasties the night before i go hunting.

Pasties?  Are you a Soady?
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:46:31 AM »
Oh yeah. Lucky red shirt, Blackberry Brandy bottle full of water (yes water), and my lucky hat.
One thing that runs in my family tradition happens when a person takes their first deer. The elder that is around takes the blood of the deer and puts a stripe on each cheek of the hunter. I know I've heard other people do that. Does anyone else on here have that ritual? I'm hoping to do that to my girlfriends little brother tomorrow as it's his first year.
Adam

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2005, 10:06:12 AM »
Pasties?  Are you a Soady?

thats why i wrote that, albert soadys deer hunting tradition lol i love that movie.

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2005, 10:47:15 AM »
Never, ever eat a big dinner the night before a hunt!  :o
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2005, 10:56:51 AM »
Agreed..agreed agreed! :-X
Adam

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2005, 11:19:11 AM »
Don't talk about how good a hunter you are  :-X. Also don't buy the antler mounting kit until after you shoot a buck. ::)
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2005, 11:33:10 AM »
That's funny, my dad bought me a mounting kit for Christmas as a joke so I could mount his tiny basket rack from the season before. I never mounted it and haven't had good luck since it's been hanging in the basement. Maybe I should get rid of that dang thing.
Adam

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2005, 12:45:29 PM »
My hunting buddy superglued a small plastic figurine type thing onto his bow; he never even saw a deer during bow season 2 years ago, and then he got rid of it, so I told him that the little plastic mojo on his bow wasn't the reason and I carried the guy around with me during gun season.  I went emptyhanded during gun season.  The next summer we threw his little plastic a$$ in a bonfire and have had fruitful seasons ever since...... 

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:03:01 PM »
for me its just the order i put my clothes on ??? dont know why but it seems to work ??? sorry i dont eat pasties, but the keep me warm on those really cold days ;D

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2005, 02:53:17 PM »
Never, ever eat a big dinner the night before a hunt!  :o

i always eat a big dinner the night before a hunt, camp food. guess thats my problem

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2005, 11:28:19 AM »
No supersticions but I do have a ritual.  I am anal about being as scent free as possible.  I wash all my clothes in scent free detergent and the towel that I shower with.  I use scent free soap and shampoo and also baking soda to brush my teeth with.  And I use Scent Lok clothing.  On the way to the hunting location, I put all my outside layer clothing and my boots in a big trash bag and I mostly always dress in the woods.  I spray down my weapon, tree stand, backpack and boots with scent eiliminating spray and I always hunt into the wind.  I do this each time and I'm convinced that I see deer that I wouldn't have had I not taken this type of approach.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal