Author Topic: Land Management Question  (Read 1759 times)

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
Land Management Question
« on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:06:46 PM »
My family owns 152 acres in northern Maine.  The lot is a rectangle about 3/4 of a mile deep and 1/4 mile wide.  There are 3 fields with a total of approximately 40-45 acres on the western property line.  The rest is mixed spruce, maple, beech and poplar with a cedar swamp in the northeast corner.  A small brook runs through the middle and we have a small camp on the western line about halfway from the road to the back property line.  Roughly 20 years ago the land was cut very thoroughly by the previous owner.  There are quite a few large trees now with lots and lots of thick undergrowth.  I am in the process of cutting trails along the old skidder roads right now.  We have lots of moose, bear and partridge, but not many deer.  Two fields are planted with potatoes and barley and the third field is not farmed and covered with clover.  The surrounding land is mixed potato and barley with small woodlots in between fields.  Any information on what I can do to make the area more attractive to deer?

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
Re: Land Management Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2005, 02:36:24 PM »
BF,
    I have a Natural Resources degree and we practice land management on our 65 acres. First I would check to see if the thick young growth has a browse line. If it is too high, you might want to clear patches of about 1/4-1/2 acre in size where you cut down all the woody growth. This will provide the deer with browse. Next go through your property and look for mast trees such as beech, oak, hickory, butternut, walnut, apple. See if they are healthy. You may want to remove some trees around these and maybe fertilize, lime or do both to the soil around these trees. Next look for raspberry and blackberry patches. Deer love to feed on the leaves of these plants. Look also for clearings and seed with a shade tolerant grass. You can also do this along skidder trails. For you clover field. Make sure it is mowed at least 2 times a year. You will also want to re-seed it about every 3-5 years with a grass, alfalfa, clover mix. Check also around the spruce and ceder stands. Deer probably winter in these areas so you may want to consider putting out trace mineral blocks (these can be purchased at farm stores) and setting up in these areas right after deer season. This will help deer through the winter. Also make sure there is enough woody browse around these areas for the deer to easily get to from the stands in deep snow. If the snow gets over 3 feet. Consider snowshowing trails in and out of these stands to areas of browse near by. It makes it easier for the deer to walk on the compacted snow. Think about planting apple, pear, and oak trees. We plant at least 5 apple or pear trees a year where we are clearing out junk sumac trees. Look around for trees that are 'junk' such as ironwood, hophornbeam, and sumac and cut them down. Finally designate an area as a deer saftey zone where nobody goes into other than to retrieve a deer that has been wounded and entered in there. You may want to do some of the above management work in there first. We have 2 areas on our 65 acres. one is a 5 acre abandoned apple orchard which is over grown but every spring we prune the apple trees and mow the trails once in august. the other is a thick cedar, pine, and pigeonberry area about 4 acres in size which is very thick and is connected to the apple orchard. Deer like thick areas like this to bed down and feel safe. Usually we get them as they walk out of the bedding areas to come out to feed. Finally look for any ponds or springs on the property. If you don't have any consider making a watering hole. Deer prefer to drink out of these. They also will be more likely to stay on your land during times of drought.   I hope this helps.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline bayonne

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:49:13 PM »
you may want to see if thiers a deer population in the area if thiers not all the work in the world wont bring them main is pretty far north pleanty of moose and bear but deer can be diferant story just as in canada the numbers arent what we have but the ones that are thier are huge what we concider a monster is the norm up thier yude be hard pressed to find a 300lb deer in the states

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:45:09 AM »
you didn,t say what town but the deer herd north of patten is a little thinner than down south. long cold winters deep snow , cyotes and removel of wintering areas by the paper companies has taken ther toll over the years. ther are small pockets , mostly around the towns. any deer that are around are usally big trophy bucks.

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:45:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  The land is in Washburn, a little northwest of Presque Isle.  There are deer a few deer around and the bucks are huge.  I saw the biggest deer I've ever seen last year the day before hunting season in the back field and never saw him again.  The pockets of woods are about 100-300 acres in size mixed between all the farms.  I'm trying to make the land so the deer stay on mine and don't move around so much.  The two biggest problems are that I live in the Portland area and it takes me about 5 hours to get to the land.  I also don't have the money to do all the things I want to, but I've got to start somewhere.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2005, 07:19:45 AM »
Start small. That is what we did. Do a little bit more each year. Remember this a long term thing you are doing and the effects will last a long time.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal