Author Topic: my question is....................  (Read 3522 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
my question is....................
« on: Dec 12, 2004, 08:41:06 PM »
is it possible to take down a deer with a .22? Here in MA, we can use bows, shotguns up to 10 gau. , muzzleloaders, and rifles chambered up to .22. muzzleloader  season, is coming up dec.13 - 31. shotgun season ended yesterday.
red

Offline HU1 2 3

• Nubbie
Re: my question is....................
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2004, 08:53:24 PM »
yes it is posible to take downa deer with a .22 magnum Ive done it Ive also taken them down with 22 long rifle's short shots and you must hit a vital such as the heart or head lungs work as well just remember there is less blood to follow when using a 22

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2004, 06:19:16 AM »
i have shot 1 deer a spikehorn with a 22 long at about 60 yrds. hit him in the eye.he went right down.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2004, 07:42:34 AM »
In theory it would kill a deer. I am sure it can kill a deer.

In NY it is not legal to hunt with a .22

I would never hunt with a .22 for deer even if I could, because as mentioned above it will not leave alot of blood and alot more deer would be lost.

Jon

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:16:27 AM »
the way i was introduced to hunting here in ny if your useing a 22 your more likely than not poaching

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:19:52 AM »
  As mentioned above yes it is possible to kill a deer with a .22.  Ethical,  I don't think so, there is too much that can go wrong with such a low powered weapon.  I have had woodchucks  make it back down their hole shot with a .22.  A deer is a heck of alot bigger than a chuck.   Why take the chance???  Use enough gun. In alot of states it is illegal to hunt deer with a .22.

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2004, 02:11:36 PM »
well, thanks for all the reply's, I wasnt sure myself, because alot of people use them for squirrel  hunting, and did not know if they were powerful enough.
red

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2004, 06:12:28 AM »
yes stick to the larger calibers they are much more reliable.the only time i have used the 22 was for nusance deer on nuserie grounds near my home with written permission from the state. they no longer alow it because of public outcry from neighbors.

Offline seaweed

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:39:19 PM »
Stay away from the 22 for deer, if you wanted to use a small
caliber, use a 243. 
good luck.

Offline Ihunt

• Nubbie
  • Hunting Is Life
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:19:25 PM »
I agree that a .22 can and will kill a deer, but you better be a good shot.  Ethically it just ain't right.  Using the right gun will make your experience more rewarding and less hassle.  Also, a good excuse to buy a new rifle.
Let Me Hunt, Let Me Hunt, Let Me Hunt

Offline tk10fire

• 6 Pointer
  • I love stick and string
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2005, 11:10:25 PM »
Couldn't agree more with the negative on usining a 22 on deer. My grand father took a few deer with  the 22 in the days when deer licence and season were not really well enforced, but I have seen deer take alot of abuse from much larger caliber and never recovered even after being trailed for many hundres of yards. In Manitoba and all over Canada it is also illegal to hunt with any rim fire rifle.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2005, 11:12:41 PM by tk10fire »
OH TO BE A FIELD

Offline DeerHunterTommer

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2005, 11:55:04 AM »
my question is........ why would you want to use a .22? granted it may be a challenge but you better hope for good tracking snow and a good hit. your effective range wont be far anyway. if you just want a small calliber use a .243 or .250 roberts. while still somewhat of a challenge they shoot flat and are ethical, unlike a .22. i'd never use a .22.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2005, 01:03:10 PM »
my grandfather shot a deer with a 22 many moons ago he said the inside was torn up from the bullet bouncing around he said it was a mess in my neck of the woods its shotgun handgun bow or muzzleloader and its even illegal to posses a 22 afield during deer season

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal