Author Topic: Deer sign  (Read 1678 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
Deer sign
« on: Nov 11, 2004, 11:45:16 AM »
Me and my dad were out in the woods recently, and there were a great number of scrapes, in our hunting areas, in western MA. I was up in the stand, and my dad decided to go for a walk , he comes back to tell me he found a huge pile of scat, and even more scrapes. So I get out of my stand after being in it for 5+ hrs, not seeing anything , but hearing crashing and walking around the deer are making. I go over to where he was talking about, and find the many scrapes he saw, and found some nice tracks, and next to the tracks was a huge pile of scat. Deer scat is usually the size of pellets, or puppy food, well anyways this scat was the size of gumdrops, and very fresh, only about an hour or less old. shiny too, Is this the sign of a very large deer, or something else. Nearby, bout 150 yards is a golf course.a couple water holes too.
red

Offline killditrite

• Forked
Re: Deer sign
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2004, 10:35:49 PM »
could be a moose but if it were you would prolly see some tracks around

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Deer sign
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2005, 01:48:55 PM »
ive seen large scat made by small deer and small scat made by large deer its all in the diet but you could use the size of the scrape to help judge or as killditrite said look for tracks i dont think there are moose in mass. but could be?  killditrite is that you bill?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal