Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 2151 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
Broadheads
« on: Oct 17, 2004, 07:32:10 PM »
Can anyone recommend how many grain broadheads to use. Im thinking 85gr, on easton xx75 gamegetter alum. 2216, 29", or shud i go heavier?
red

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »
     It really depends on how your rig shoots and what grain you have been practicing with.  You need to match your field point grain to your broadhead grain.  I personally have shot thunderhead 125's for the last 15 years and have never had a problem with penetration or durablity.  The other plus is you can find the replacement blades at any smalltown bowshop or hardware store ,  everyone carries the thunderhead.  If you have a buddy or someone who switchs broadheads all the time maybe you could borrow a few different makes and grains and see what shoots the best for you.  Remember to shoot your broadheads as they may fly a little different than your field tips do,  better to find out at the range than in the woods.

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2004, 02:21:15 PM »
thanks swantucky, i think my feildpoints were 85 gr, cuz ive tried 85 gr. broadheads and they shoot the same.
red

Offline gonefishing

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2005, 01:42:45 PM »
well I M new but a friend of mine told me that the 125 grain broadhead has more dropping power but has more drop and power loss out in the 30 yard plus shots I use 125 muzzys butt am very new and not yet hunted with them sense I use a small pse bruin bow the archery shop sugested I use 100 grain next year  ???
jim & kat

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2005, 12:51:38 PM »
it depends on your set up i shoot 65lb draw weight with 3 blade muzzy's 100 gr. i have buddies with the same weight that shoot 75gr. 3 blade and 125 4 or 2 blade i was told that if you shoot less than 55lb weight shooting 2 blades are better there is a formula i was taught last year something like find the spot where your arrow is perfectly balanced with a feild tip measure from the end of the arrow (not feild tip) to that mark do the same with a broad head if the spot is less with broad head you should go up in size if greater go down dont quote me im not sure but ill try to find out for you

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal