Author Topic: bowhunting from a treestand  (Read 2352 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
bowhunting from a treestand
« on: Oct 13, 2004, 03:35:16 PM »
I was wondering if I would need to adjust my sights when shooting from a stand.
red

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
Re: bowhunting from a treestand
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2004, 04:55:52 PM »
Nope. I've never had an issue when it comes to shooting from a tree, in terms of accuracy, as opposed to shooting from the ground. But if you want to be sure, get up in a tree and find out! :) No better way to gain confidence in something than to go out and find out for yourself. But like I said, I'll say that the answer is NO. Good luck!  ;) :)

-Zach

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2004, 07:20:19 PM »
Yes, you should.  You will tend to shoot high when shooting at a downward angle.  The higher you are, the more pronounced it will be.  Like CDS said, give it a try.  Take your climber or chain on and hang it on a tree in your yard and see for yourself.  Like Vince said, "Practice does not make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect."

kc17

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2004, 07:10:05 AM »
Like the others have said the only way to know is to try.  I know some people that say their bows shoot very different from a tree verses being on the ground.  My guess is that their equipment is not set up properly.  Every bow I have owned has shot exactly the same from the ground as in a tree.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2004, 09:51:34 PM »
give it a shot i think it might shoot a little low because of the downward angle and have  had other people say it would be low  shot at 2 last weekend out of my stand and they were low but found out my peep and my nock had moved also my first time out with a bow

Offline bussman

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:51:19 AM »
I see no real difference in my shots from a tree but there is something else you need to consider.

One of the most common mistakes a bow hunter can make while hunting from a tree is not imagination the flight of your arrow though the deers body. If the deer is close and you shoot low in the vitals you might catch only one lung. For the guys who try heart shots a one inch mistake can mean a wounded deer (brisket shoot) and thats a deer that is very difficult if not impossible to recover.  My goal is to take both lungs out so I tend to shot high in the vitals to ensure a clean 2 lung kill. Keep this in mind if your new to tree stand hunting and good luck.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2005, 02:15:51 PM »
i see a difference as i ground hunt but the outdoor archery range i belong to only has elevated shots at 3D targets its only minor difference but its there draw weight and broad head size also play a role most broad heads shoot different than field tips unless you use expandable so take that into consideration and as bussman said be carefull shooting at deer too close

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal