Author Topic: tips for newbies  (Read 6459 times)

Offline redeyes

• Forked
  • nothings better than being out in the woods
tips for newbies
« on: Oct 10, 2004, 04:34:50 PM »
you guys got any tips for a beginner hunter. I am 15 and this will be my first year hunting. deer season starts here in MA tomarro Oct 11. I do not have anyone in the family who hunts, but i will be going with an adult. any info is appreciated.
red

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
Re: tips for newbies
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2004, 05:08:39 PM »
redeyes, (I hope you got your nickname from staying up late)

Best advice I can give you is as follows;
Always treat your firearm as if it were loaded
Be very aware of your firearm, Know where the muzzle is pointing at all times
Do not trust the safety, it's a mechanical device and can fail to operate properly
Keep your finger off the trigger until the moment you're ready to shoot
POSITIVELY identify your target making sure you have a clear shot within your effective range
Know what is beyond your target
Know where your partner is at all times
Never cross an obstacle with a loaded firearm
Never set a loaded firearm down, lean it against a tree etc.
Always unload your firearm when you're not hunting (i.e. standing around talking with other hunters)
Never run with a firearm (sometimes excitement takes over after a shot)
WEAR ORANGE....at least a vest and hat...but remember, there are color blind people in this world...don't count on everyone seeing your orange.
If you see another hunter approaching your setup, be sure he knows your there but be careful getting his attention...most accidents happen when the shooter "Thought he saw something", shout in a loud clear voice if necessary.

I was a hunter education instructor for many years and still receive the yearly accident reports so I know that SAFETY COMES FIRST!

Beyond that...be patient....let things happen as naturally as possible. Don't go to the woods with the attitude that "I have to shoot a deer". Trust your partner and his advice (assuming it's safe).

I like to cover trails to food plots early and late and still hunt during the day. My method of still hunting is to move 20 yards and wait 20 minutes. I always try to find  some cover in that 20 yards.I don't like hunting ridgetops...I always feel like a target.

Most of all have fun and make sure you bring some stuff to eat and drink. You'll be able to stay in the woods longer.

Good luck,
RG

Offline redeyes

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2004, 07:29:28 PM »
thanks RGFIXIT,
I actually learned all those safety tips, when I was taking my safety course.I  have applied for my FID card, and will be getting it tuesday. I just got back today, from getting my archery stamp.

The name redeyes came from when i had got back frome being in aruba for 2 weeks, I had red rings around my eyes, everyone in school had called me redeyes. so I used for my login name.I do stay up late, but I'm not a pothead like some kids my age.Drugs just screw up your whole life.
red

Offline redeyes

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2004, 07:30:50 PM »
RGFIXIT,
Ill take everything you told me when I am out in the woods
red

Offline RGFIXIT

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2004, 06:15:44 PM »
Redeyes,
Congratulations, you're already better off than a lot of kids your age. A clear head is your best hunting tool.

As I said...have a lot of fun and take success as it comes. Have a great time ;D

Let us know how you do.
Bob

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
  • Nothing better than bow season!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2004, 07:06:07 PM »
Redeyes. Im 15 also and this will be my second year hunting.  One thing to remember is don't rush the shot take your time andif you can't make a clean shot don't shoot.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2004, 07:10:56 PM »
RG has pretty much layed it out for you. The biggest thing really is safety. You are carrying around a wepon that will kill. Make sure your target is a deer, it is easy to get all wound up when you hear something coming thru the woods. I read a story about a hunter that was sure he saw the white patch of a deer's neck and fired, but it was the small part of another hunters white tee shirt at the top button of his red flannel shirt. The hunter was killed.

I'm not trying to scare you out of the woods, but just want you to be aware. Hunting is one of the most enjoyable sports there is. When you see that deer coming your heart is going to be pounding hard, and your eyes will be as big as saucers.  :o  It's something you'll aways remember, whether you get a shot at the deer or not. Have fun at it and good luck.

Offline redeyes

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2004, 07:33:49 PM »
left the house today around 11am, with my dad (he doesnt hunt), we parked the truck, went off on the trail, and found a good place to set up.many crabapples and beechnuts, oaks around. climbed the stand, my father in the tree next to me. we wer in the stands for about 4 hrs, saw no action, so we got down, and just walked around to see if we could call any in, found some bedding/feeding areas and bunkered down. still no action, we did however find a nice set of fresh tracks, scrapes, rubs, scat. Didnt see one single deer, so we left around, 5pm. , went to the check station, and a couple people got some. any tips on where to hunt, what to look for. maybe better luck tomarrow.
red

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2004, 08:30:25 PM »
If there are alot of deer paths, try to find a spot where they merge to gether - maybe a narrow strip of woods between two fields or two bodies of water and set up a stand there. Or maybe an old overgrown apple orchard. If you have an idea where there are bedding and where they are feeding, try to set up some where in between. If they are feeding in a field, then they are most likely feeding at night and will be heading to thier bedding areas at daylight, so you have to be in your stand before sunrise. Hopefully you can catch them on thier way thru.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2004, 08:45:37 AM »
Redeyes,

First it is refreshing to see a youth be as involved as you are. You are asking the right questions and with the info that you get it should help you.

As mentioned try to find the strips of woods that connect two fields. These are funnels and are the best to hunt. You will find the most action in these funnels once you find the funnel.

There are several free satelite servers on the net. You can plug in your city, state, zip code and it will give you a map from the air with a real satelite image. From this you can actually see where the funnels may be. Try www.terraserver.com

Scent is important. Make sure you have a cover scent, typically I use a doe scent for cover and a attractant.

Learn the grunt call. This is in my opinion your best tool in the woods if you know how to use it.

Get a set of rattling antlers, it may take some time but this does work as well. When you rattle watch the outside edges as the smaller bucks will come in curious to try to try to find the larger bucks.

I personally do alot of hunting by the moon. I feel it directly effects deer movement. Do some searches on deer lunar activity. Also maybe pick up a book by Chales Alsheimer as he is the industry expert on this. Here is a example on a lunar table.  http://it.stlawu.edu/~ptri/solunar.htm

Pay attention to wind as best as possible. Remember bedding and feeding areas and approach them thinking of wind condition.

Be as quiet as possible entering a woods and leaving a woods. Slow steps and low noise. Alot of mistakes happen with "just walking normal".

Remember you are a invader to the deers permanent living space. He will be keen to know if you are there and things like branches breaking when you walk on them will give you away. Quiet is key.

Best of all though....killing a deer is not a successful hunt. The success is just being out there, if you see a deer or kill one then that is a bonus.

Good Luck,
Jon

buzzbomb

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2004, 09:04:46 AM »
I think that's all good advice, though personally I've had better luck with little fawn bleats (if it isn't windy, they can be nearly inaudible) than grunts, just because it's harder to do correctly.  I'm glad you're taking it so seriously, and that your dad is making the effort to get you out there, especially since he isn't hunting himself.  I still appreciate my dad taking me out, even after he didn't really want to go anymore himself.  And remember,
you have to be vewwy, vewwy quiet. shhhh

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2004, 06:23:59 PM »
All good stuff above.  Redeyes, I'd also recommend taking a bowhunter education course even if you've already taken hunters safety.  Being around experienced hunters itself exposes you to many tips. 

My tips here are for bowhunters but if you master them then they will pay off during the gun seasons as well.

#1  For deer hunting, become anal about your scent.  Wash your clothes with scent free laundry soap, your hair and body with scent free soap, wear scent free deodorant, and pay close attention to wind direction and wind currents on each hunt.  Scent-Lok or similar products work great if you can afford them, if not, scent free soap is cheap.  Also, I prefer to not smell like anything and blend in the woods, so I use spray to cover or eliminate scent on me and my equipment.  The more attention to detail that you pay to this, the more deer you'll see.

#2  Be quiet as much as possible to and from your stand.  Avoid unnecessary movement while in your stand.

#3  Only take shots that you've practiced.  Make sure that you practice from an elevated platform if you hunt from a stand.  Practice a lot before, during, and after your season.  3 D archery is a good idea and will give you confidence and near woods like experience.  Practice with broadheads if possible before you hunt.

#4  Learn the kill zone of the deer and where the vitals are located from all angles.  Limit your shots to quartering away or broadside as much as possible.  Real fast bows can make clean kills from a quartering to shot, but if your bow doesn't have that knockdown velocity, then your arrow may not penetrate the shoulder blade and make a clean kill.

#5  Eliminate problems that cost you shots.  Some that I've eliminated that have really helped me over the years:

-   I bought a whisker biscuit so that my arrows don't come off the rest.  The lost FPS is negligible.

-   I shoot a release and my groups are very tight.  Great for confidence.

-   I invested in a good sight, the Trophy Ridge Matrix.  It has awesome light gathering properties.

-   I shoot a loop, again, the arrow doesn't come off.  No loss in arrow speed.

Also, make sure that you're in the woods during the magic hours, morning and evening.  Deer move most often during those times.  But, especially on days when you're likely to encounter other hunters or during the rut, stay in your stand as long as possible, all day if you have to, and you may be rewarded during the noon hour.

Also, scout during the off season too and look for deer sign from the previous season.  Shed hunting, if legal in your state, will often give you an idea of not only the quality of the bucks on your land, but also their hangouts.

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful pastime.  Maybe Dad can videotape you if he doesn't hunt and both of you can relive those memories.  Hunting with a camera can be just as challenging as with a bow.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline redeyes

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2004, 08:15:07 PM »
hey guys, thanks for all the great advice. My bow will definately take down a deer, i have done alot of research on what to use and how to use it. I have a Reflex grizzly 50-60# 29" draw, a QS whisker bisquit, a trophy ridge flatliner 3 pin, a loop, and release. My bow is set at 52# right now. I practice shooting everyday after school. I normally shoot from 20-25yds at a 3-d buck. I practice ground and stand shooting. I use carbon GT arrows. with spitfire broadheads. Im going hunting this sat. with a friend of mine. Probally scout the area thurs, or fri. head out at the spot around 5:30 am, sat, set up the stands, near, bedding/feeding areas. and wait...    I'll post my results that night.
red

Offline skulldugary

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2004, 08:50:05 AM »
PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Swantucky

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2004, 10:21:06 AM »
    I started bowhunting when I was about 12 and was in the same situation as you are,  no one in my family hunts.  I had a buddy in the same situation so we spent alot of time hunting together. ( very unsucessfully) I shot my first deer with a gun at 16 years old and did not get one with my bow untill I was 23.  My buddy and I both learned everything the hard way.  It took a long time but when we finally figured everything out we became alot more sucessful.  I'm 35 now and for the last 12 years I have killed at least 2 a year with my bow.  I am by no means trying to discourage you,  far from it,  what I am trying to say is enjoy all the other things  bowhunting has to offer other than the kill.  The sunrise/sets, other animal sightings etc.  The best thing you could do is try and find a mentor, a family friend, someone at a local bow club, etc who can take the edge off of your learning curve.  There is no better teacher than someone with expirence who can take you out and show you firsthand what to look for, how to play the wind, good locations etc.  My buddy and I get together at least one time a year for a 4 day bowhunt and he always brings up how lucky my son will be to have us to take him out and show him the ropes rather than learn the hard way.  We always get a good laugh talking about all the stupid mistakes we made.  Whatever you do don't get discourged it may take awhile but if you stay commited, read everything you can,  and ask lots of questions sucess will come.  By the way where are you located ??? Maybe there is somone on this board in your area who could help you out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           by the way stay off the drugs you can't hunt worth $*#@ if your head is screwed up.  Good luck !!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal