Author Topic: So-lunar tables  (Read 2981 times)

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
So-lunar tables
« on: Oct 10, 2004, 02:43:18 PM »
What are everyones thoughts on predicting deer movement based on So-lunar tables?  I know deer react to the rise and set of the sun and moon as well as the moon phase but how predictable do you feel forecasting activity is?  With 2 young children, my wife in college full time and myself working 2 jobs my hunting time is very limited these days.  I'm trying to come up with a successful pattern to maximize my time afield.  Thoughts??

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
Re: So-lunar tables
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2004, 07:15:21 AM »
Some people will tell you they are hogwash.

I think they are about the best thing going. If you have never read any of Charles Alsheimers works you need to. He is a renowed deer hunting expert. He has studied deer habits all his life.

What is interesting is in my documentation I found I had for the most part killed all my bowhunting deer in a pattern, times of day and specific times of the season. I knew I was on to something just not exactly what. When I read Charlies work it all came together. Most of my deer are killed by the moon.

I have found that each year I can tell you the week that will be most productive to bow hunt. You can go one better and predict movement times in that week.

Try to pick up one of his books and read it, you will learn a ton. I have hunted for several years and learned alot. If if you don't like to read.....you will not want to put his book down.

Jon

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2004, 03:31:10 PM »
Jon, I'll have to look into some of his writings.

Looking at my calendar, with all the corresponding solar and lunar activity surrounding the new moon this month and the low pressure system moving through, today should be a great day to be in the woods.  There should be alot of activity this evening.

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2004, 05:28:29 PM »
The guy who wrote the book (his family still does) is John Alden Knight.  He started publishing it after finding out how market hunters started using moon and sun position to tell when game would be active so they wouldn't waste their time afield.. I found an article for you...
 http://www.huntontario.com/archery/moon-madness       
  I think it might work allright before the rut, but not as well once they start chasing each other around.  Remember solunar times are just one factor, and no more influential than weather, or pressure or a number of other things.  good luck in your hunt!

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2004, 05:44:37 PM »
Thanks buzzbomb!  I agree that solunar effects are only part of the equation.  But the more parts of the equation I figure out the closer I am to the anwser. ;D

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2005, 02:24:12 PM »
Some people will tell you they are hogwash.

I think they are about the best thing going. If you have never read any of Charles Alsheimers works you need to. He is a renowed deer hunting expert. He has studied deer habits all his life.

What is interesting is in my documentation I found I had for the most part killed all my bowhunting deer in a pattern, times of day and specific times of the season. I knew I was on to something just not exactly what. When I read Charlies work it all came together. Most of my deer are killed by the moon.

I have found that each year I can tell you the week that will be most productive to bow hunt. You can go one better and predict movement times in that week.

Try to pick up one of his books and read it, you will learn a ton. I have hunted for several years and learned alot. If if you don't like to read.....you will not want to put his book down.

Jon

my thought exactly

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal