Author Topic: Daughter's 2nd Buck  (Read 4533 times)

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
Daughter's 2nd Buck
« on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:33:16 AM »

Here's a couple pictures of the whitetail buck that my daughter shot yesterday.  I also posted a few other on the Big Buck thread.

She's 12, going on 13 next weekend and has been a great hunting companion for her Dad.

I'm very proud of her calmness and patience when it comes to shooting.   She just doesn't get rushed and waits for the perfect shot, then executes it.   Don't know where she gets it from, I was a bundle of buck fever when I was 12.

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
Re: Daughter's 2nd Buck
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »
That buck is huge! Congtrats to you and your daughter. U both should be very proud. What a trophy

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
Holy crap!!! That's a great buck.  You better make sure your future son in law hunts, he's gonna have a heck of a time keeping up with her.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »

MtLion,

I'm going to skull mount it for her.   We talked about shoulder mounting it, then she asked, " What if I shoot a bigger one next year?"

It was about 60 degrees when she shot it and we had a couple hour drive back so we decided to open him up all the way to cool out as much as possible and go with the skull mount.

She's been really lucky in her hunting adventures so far and really wanted to shoot a good buck so I spent most of the drive down explaining to her that is was likely we'd see a lot of small bucks and probably wouldn't see a shooter.   If she wanted a good one, we'd have to really work at it and be patient.

Well at about 8:30 we saw a shooter.  For her, me, almost everyone I know.

The shot was about 200 yards and she shot it right through the shoulders.   It went right down but still had it's head up so (not knowing exactly where it was hit)
I had her shoot it in the neck for the finishing shot.   Wasn't needed after further examination, she took out both lungs with the first shot.

Fun day for the both of us.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:45:05 AM »

Yeah, I thought that it would catch up with my daughter yesterday and I figured it would be good for her if it did.   

I suffered through a lot of adversity (read:  me missing easy shots) when I first started hunting and she just hasn't faced that much yet.   She's been a lucky gal to say the least.

I'm planning on taking her elk hunting this Thursday afternoon and Friday so maybe it'll catch up with her then.   If not, I'll be posting some more pics on Monday.

God help the elk!

Offline huntNH

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
Very awesome deer - I have a feeling she will be hunting for many years to come. 
ice fishNH @ IS  fishNH @ MFF

Offline huntgoddess

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »
Nice buck!! It looks like it weighs 500 lbs in those pictures!! Its a monster!

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2007, 03:21:15 PM »

It felt like it weighed 500 when I loaded it in the truck by myself.

Hope to see one like it from you and Mtlion!

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2007, 03:27:44 PM »

Tell me about it.

There's no way I'm shooting one smaller than hers, she'd never let me forget it.

It's going to be hard to find a nicer one for myself.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »

I'm the guide, I'm pretty sure I can prevent that from happening!

If she does, more power to her.  It'd be my own fault for not having the gumption to hold out for a bigger one.

I just have trouble passing up a decent six point, maybe after a few more years.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »

I figure her luck has to give out sometime.

But that's what I thought yesterday.

Hope this weather changes so the elk hunting improves, the season is going fast!

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »

Sounds like a good way to close out the last three weeks.

I'll be anxious to hear about your Miles City hunt.

A couple buddies of mine have shot some hawgs down there, hope you do the same!

Good luck to you and HG.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:59:53 PM »

Man, I don't.

I have never hunted there myself and my buddies were hunting some private ground that a friends family owned that is now leased to an outfitter.

I'm just not familiar with that area at all so I'm not much help, sorry.

I know that they saw and shot some real dandies over the years so I hope you can get into them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal