Author Topic: Daughter's First Antelope!  (Read 3541 times)

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
Daughter's First Antelope!
« on: Oct 08, 2007, 10:35:40 AM »

Here's a picture of my twleve year old daughter's first antelpe taken 10/7/07.

We had an opportunity at one larger buck but just couldn't get the proper shot, so we saw this one bedded and snuck up to about 100 yards and she shot it while it was bedded down.  She placed the shot perfectly on the point of the shoulder.   It measured 12 and half inches which is bigger than my first so she enjoyed that fact.  Not a huge buck but a good first buck.  We had an excellent hunt and exiciting stalk.

We have practiced and talked about proper shot placement on a standing animal, but had to do a quick revision on placement on a bedded one.   Didn't have much choice, he would have been up and out of sight if we had waited for him to stand.   As it was, he never made it out of his bed.

I was a proud Dad to say the least.   Her first three game animals have been one shot kills: one shot deer, one shot elk and her first antelope.

Offline Mooter

• 6 Pointer
  • NICE RACK
Re: Daughter's First Antelope!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »
Great goat
You should be proud

You should have seen the one I let get away.
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/link.php?id=TW9vdGVy

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:05:10 AM »

It was a great day for both of us.

I didn't draw a tag so she was the only one with a tag.

My father was also with us so he really enjoyed the experience as well.

Incidentally, the gun she used is a Winchester Model 88 .243, which is the exact same gun I used to shoot my first deer, antelope and elk so I thought that was pretty.   It's been in the family forever so I have some sentimental attachement to it.   And it doesn't hurt that it's a tack driver either.

Going to have to move her up to the .270 for her elk this year though, the .243 is probably a little light.   

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »
4eyes
Awesome! When your kids are successful it is a good feeling. CONGRATS!

Offline FishN4Eyes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:11:45 AM »
Jeez, I guess I missed a word or two in there.

I meant to say that I thought it was pretty cool that she used the same gun as I did when I was twelve but the fingers must not have been keeping up with the mind.

I had major buck fever when I was twelve, but my daughter has ice in her veins.   I don't know where she gets the cool-under-pressure from, not me that's for sure.   Last year before she shot her elk, she had to tell me to calm down!

Offline huntgoddess

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2007, 05:38:43 PM »
Nice buck! I use a .223 unless its really windy then I go for the .270. Awesome to see another lady hunter out there! Keep up the good work 8)  P.S. most of the bucks I have gotten were in the 12-13 inch range and I loved every one!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2007, 07:28:54 PM »
Congrats. Always great to see girls get into hunting!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Mainiac

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:09:44 AM »
Agreed, love to see the little ladies getting involved with the outdoors

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal