Author Topic: atv 4x4  (Read 4240 times)

Offline mauser98

• Forked
atv 4x4
« on: Jun 29, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
picked up an old atv  gonna start working on that get it ready I HOPE by hunting season...  1994 polaris 400L  2 stroke  4x4  dont run but with LUCK it may.  i took the carb off today....green inside..ive got til october  should be a BLAST.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
Re: atv 4x4
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
Good luck with the new project.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2014, 04:15:56 AM »
Explorer's make nice little work horses , a little TLC is all it should need , Good luck with it

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »

Green stuff in the carburetor isn't a good thing, but rebuilding it shouldn't be a problem, make sure the jets aren't pitted. Good luck with it, I hope it will give you years of use. :)

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
New needle valves and gaskets & fuel filter and a real good rinse job on the gas tank and gas lines and
and a good spark plug should take care of most of your problems

Offline mauser98

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2014, 05:55:23 AM »
whelp....found more...needs new piston and rings....87 bucks for the kit....i already have the hone...15-20 bucks for the carb kit.....i know  a local kid that works at a shop said he would do it it up...im too old and LAZY....20 bucks an hr..hes gonna slap a the piston kit into it and carb kit.....after that it needs brakes and a few other things....ill do that....m gonna do some each week. ill take some pics when i get it back...i painted the fenders and stuff up...it was red white and blue...now its gonna be camo green and black...ill keep ya informed.....october is BOW season 

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »
whelp....found more...needs new piston and rings....87 bucks for the kit....i already have the hone...15-20 bucks for the carb kit.....i know  a local kid that works at a shop said he would do it it up...im too old and LAZY....20 bucks an hr..hes gonna slap a the piston kit into it and carb kit.....after that it needs brakes and a few other things....ill do that....m gonna do some each week. ill take some pics when i get it back...i painted the fenders and stuff up...it was red white and blue...now its gonna be camo green and black...ill keep ya informed.....october is BOW season

I might just dip the thing for you , spruce it up some

Offline mauser98

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
thanks...but it being a 1994...i went to walmart and grabbed some rattle can camo and started already 

Offline mauser98

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »
whelp   change number 12k and 13....kid didnt do the work...was too busy kept making excuses....had famiily problems too he said.............sooooooo  i took it back  tore it down myself....yeah its worn out....needs ring job....soooooooooooooooo  this weekend i did most all of it up....gonna hone it tomorrow and slap it back together and see....WISH ME LUCK..:) :) :)

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
whelp   change number 12k and 13....kid didnt do the work...was too busy kept making excuses....had famiily problems too he said.............sooooooo  i took it back  tore it down myself....yeah its worn out....needs ring job....soooooooooooooooo  this weekend i did most all of it up....gonna hone it tomorrow and slap it back together and see....WISH ME LUCK..:) :) :)
   8)  You will have it up and purring like a kitten shortly  :) :)

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2014, 04:45:56 PM »
Good luck.  8)

Offline mauser98

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »
NEXT....have compression now  140 psi...but lower is leaking like krazy...seals are shot...ordered the two pullers i need and the kit...50 bucks will do it..and THEN i expect it to run...IF IM LUCKY...seals and one puller came this week...next week the other will come and i ordered a new starter as well...56 bucks with free shipping, i was gonna have it rebuilt for for the price just ordered a new one. later ill have it rebuilt as a spare.....THE FUN NEVAR ends  :) :) :) :) im not an atv guy...i didnt know if lower seals leak it wont run...thats kinda KRAZY but being a two stroke thats what i was told....by a few people/shops...

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
You are coming right along with it   ;D  Your going to have a brand new work horse shortly   :)

Offline mauser98

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
WHELP more fun...it still dont run...i took the jug and had it bored and new piston and rings and i put new seals in the bottom end...and a carb kit....sputters for llike 15 seconds and dies...now im moving on to electrical...WHEN im done this danged thing will  be all new...hope i make hunting season with it...first time working on atv for me....FUN FUN FUN....tried to get it into a couple local places....they are way out on time and charge more than i wanna pay so its ALL a me thing. rest of machine is in great condition so its worth it...now ive got 450 into it...i figure if i spend 800 ill still have a real nice machine...cant find any out there for anything under 15-3500..ill tell more as i go...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal