Author Topic: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep  (Read 49079 times)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 03:40:08 PM »
Took some time to plan where I need to clear for the coming springs chestnut tree & apple tree plantings. Basically there are 2 main bedding areas, one on the North end & one towards the South. I already have a pretty good start near the southern bedding area with a few dozen crabapple and a couple dozen chestnut trees established last spring (in the area that I spent clearing the past 2 winters) I plan to expand that area down the hill a bit more- about another 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre more. I will plant Jonamac's & Mcintosh along with some more chestnut there this spring. After that area is opened enough I'm going to open an area that borders the southern side of the northern bedding area. There is a nice bench that the deer already use a lot between these 2 feed lots I'm creating- when they are producing well in a few years this bench is going to be incredible as the bucks cruise between the two. This way I can hunt near whichever feeding area the wind is right for... but mostly will hunt the bench between the two so the deer can feed undisturbed for the most part.  Hard & soft mast will be in both areas with clover , turnips etc also. The deer don't get at the turnips until late season- they are in where I put them now hard- looks like plenty made it through the season! The new tree plantings will drop from September right through winter- I chose the varieties I did to produce a constant flow of drops. The heavy wet snow broke a few of the old established wild apple trees right in half. I pruned everything that needed it, I'm sure those limbs will be eaten up quick! I've really come to enjoy the clearing & prep work in the winter. It's really easy to see what should stay & what needs to go when it's not a jungle. No ticks or deer flies is a big plus too. I will try to get a few pics next trip and put them here when I do.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »
I'll be cutting back some brush tomorrow from around my food plot, trimming out some new shooting lanes around one of my new stands, and doing some post season scouting and shed hunting. I've been getting some trail cam pics of bucks that have already shed antlers.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
I'll be cutting back some brush tomorrow from around my food plot, trimming out some new shooting lanes around one of my new stands, and doing some post season scouting and shed hunting. I've been getting some trail cam pics of bucks that have already shed antlers.

Wow- It's early for that... stay safe & have fun.  8)

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
HW you make me want to build another food plot ASAP.

I picked up 5 more apple trees (3 crabs 2 regular) yesterday and they are going in this weekend. I am going to plant a dozen dunstan chestnuts in the spring. I plan on turning my existing food plot into half fruit/nut trees and the other half is going to stay clover.

It will be a few years before I build another food plot but I might just make the whole thing fruit/nut trees.

You are an inspiration to us all!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »
HW you make me want to build another food plot ASAP.

I picked up 5 more apple trees (3 crabs 2 regular) yesterday and they are going in this weekend. I am going to plant a dozen dunstan chestnuts in the spring. I plan on turning my existing food plot into half fruit/nut trees and the other half is going to stay clover.

It will be a few years before I build another food plot but I might just make the whole thing fruit/nut trees.

You are an inspiration to us all!

Well... thanks for kind words. The only reason I can do the things I'm doing with the place is that the time is right. Kids grown & gone so there is time to go do this instead of the other responsibilities that were much more important at that time. Where are you finding fruit trees this time of year? My chestnut seeds came today... have to put them in peat moss & into the fridge for a couple months until they sprout. Curious to see how it works out doing them from seed- you can get a whole lot more trees going than buying them by the gallon pot. Still going to buy more Dunstan that way in the spring but if I can get 30 trees out of the 150 seeds I'll only have $47 invested... got to try it! These are Chinese chestnut. I'm going with them in case by some chance the Dunstan become infected when they're older or some other weird invasive gets to them. Hate having all the eggs in one basket. Good luck & have fun with your project!
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2014, 08:52:39 PM by Hollywood »

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »
I got the trees from Aspinall's in Chittenango. They have plenty.

Time is always an issue with me with a young boy. We squeeze a lot of stuff in during nap time.  ;D I wouldn't trade him for all the big bucks in the world!
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2014, 08:02:55 AM by reeleyz »

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:26:52 PM »
I'm beat... but opened a bit more up today. Didn't know that they carried them this time of year, reeleyz, good to know!
 This is near the southern bedding area- 2 years ago when I first started clearing it... The tree you see behind and to the left of Cubby & the wheeler is the same one that is 1/3 of the way over from the left in the background of the next pic...

This is from this morning... wish I had panoramic, it's more open than you see...

The crabapple are in the foreground- the area I'm clearing is the thick stuff downhill...

The crabapple were only about 16-18" when they went in back in May. Some are 6' tall now- really impressed with the growth-

This is the other side of the gully- this chestnut tree grew a good 5' this year. Those are deer tracks through there- after the food plot stuff. The main thing I learned this year with all the trees I planted- "Too low- won't grow, too high, won't die" The trees that were put in even just slightly under grade are alive- but not thriving. The ones put in just a little on the high side all just shot up- like this one-

Last weeks heavy snow took a toll on some of the big old wild apple trees-

What I managed to get clear in 6 hours today. I figure I'll need about 4-5 more days before this is as open as I need it to be for this springs trees, this whole area is choked with grape vines that are all interwoven from tree to tree. Really slows down the clearing.

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2014, 08:36:55 AM by Hollywood »

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:18:59 AM »
Great looking spot , Those trees are coming to life very quickly and coming to life  :) :) :)

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »
These are the Chinese chestnut seeds I got yesterday-

Putting them bagged in humus then in the fridge until they germinate in a couple months-

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2014, 08:05:19 AM by Hollywood »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:09:12 AM »
Looking good Tom... 
No time for chasing bunnies?    ;)
I would think you would leave those brush piles for them...   :D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:33:35 AM »
Looking good Tom... 
No time for chasing bunnies?    ;)
I would think you would leave those brush piles for them...   :D

Bunnies chew young fruit & nut trees... going out of my way to make sure there isn't cover for them in this area. My buddy the redtail hawk loves what I'm doing up here- he flies off almost every time I head up! Quite a few owls too. There are plenty of piles and multifloral rose domes I left on the bottom 2 years back. I will do a couple bunny hunts with the boys this winter... but I've got my work cut out for me here if I want things ready to roll in the spring. Once I get a picture of how I'd like things to be in my head... I get kind of obsessed with getting it there. It will be quite a few years before I'll see how it all pans out.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
Where did you get the seeds from.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Looking good HW. I assume the Chinese chestnuts drop at a different time than the Dunstans?

Do you do anything for weed control around the trees?

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
Where did you get the seeds from.

http://www.route9cooperative.com/

I dealt with Empire Chestnut that ships through this co-op. If this works out I plan to try some of the Chinkapin Chestnut next winter.

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »
Looking good HW. I assume the Chinese chestnuts drop at a different time than the Dunstans?

Do you do anything for weed control around the trees?

Eliminating competition from weeds & grass is the best thing you can do to promote growth. Last season I kept things clear by hand weeding. One of the things I will be doing in the spring is putting landscaping fabric around the base of every apple & nut tree there. I thought I could keep up with it by hand- but it's quickly getting to the point where there will be just too much to do. I will incorporate fabric into the process now when I plant. I really pays to cage your fruit trees. I left a couple exposed just to see how it went... they got pounded! Once things mature it won't be so bad... but that'll be awhile. The Dunstan chestnut trees have been pretty much left alone. I will spray the deer repellant on them when they start to bud but they didn't bother them last spring/summer/fall. I will be wrapping the bases to prevent them being rubbed too. Just popping the tree in the ground is the easy part! Did you get your trees in reeleyz?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal