Author Topic: Time to upgrade my sight and arrow rest  (Read 7530 times)

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
Re: Time to upgrade my sight and arrow rest
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2012, 04:40:41 PM »
I use the QAD rest to. Best rest I have ever used. If you have to let down the rest stays up. I was told that is not the case with the rip cord.

I'm leaning toward a single pin sight soon. Maybe next year.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
I use the QAD rest to. Best rest I have ever used. If you have to let down the rest stays up. I was told that is not the case with the rip cord.
I have used a Ripcord the last 3 years and you are correct as soon as the let down the rest will drop.

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
i might be totaly wrong and correct me if i am. but i dont think most of hte poeple using single pins these days are moving the pin in the treestand. more holding the pin higher the further the deer is away. i shoot a 3 pin site and dont use the second or third. i shoot a three inch group to 40 yards but wont shoot over 30 while hunting. my pins dead on at 30 and under and i hold it just a hair high at 40 and do just fine. could probibly hunt out to 40 i just choose not ot.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #18 on: Sep 06, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
You are exactly right Step2jimi that is what I do..........
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
i have an extreme 3 pin site and removed all but 1. my bow is  0-33yds, dead on hold.  works for me since most all my bow kills are less then 20.

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Finances played a key in what I wound up buying...for now, the sight comes first.  Next, the rest maybe at Xmas.  I wound up getting the HHA Optimizer Lite sight Saturday night.  I'm going to install it and sight it in today or tomorrow hopefully.  It's my first single pin sight, but I think it will work just fine.  I need to get some practice with it though.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
Finances played a key in what I wound up buying...for now, the sight comes first.  Next, the rest maybe at Xmas.  I wound up getting the HHA Optimizer Lite sight Saturday night.  I'm going to install it and sight it in today or tomorrow hopefully.  It's my first single pin sight, but I think it will work just fine.  I need to get some practice with it though.

OH, look who decided to pop in...   To cold to fish today???      ;D ;D ;D

Good luck with the new site....   But your season has been open for weeks now...    :o
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

OH, look who decided to pop in...   To cold to fish today???      ;D ;D ;D

Good luck with the new site....   But your season has been open for weeks now...    :o

LOL, but the fish are bitin' big time!  I know I'm getting a late start this year.  I hung my stand last month though...I'm just givin' the deer some time to get used to it  ;D ;)  Hey, better late than never, right?  Plus, I hate bowhunting in the heat and I hate skeeters.  I'll make up for it though, and still get some fishing in!

-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »
I know.  Just busting them on ya.. ;D.  We went out last night for a short trip and got some bass and walleyes....   And when I get out of work in 20mins I will be in my stand by 3:30..   ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
I can take it Dom, np.  I was out yesterday chasing muskies on the river...no sniffs - skunk monster got me.  That's my problem, the fall is prime time for muskies, and also prime bowhunting time, and I can't give either of 'em up for the other!
-Kevin Wilson

Offline AugustWest

• Spiked
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
Bucks by Day and Waldos by Night...Isn't that what Paul Revere said ::)
I used an HHA slider single pin on my DXT and quite enjoyed it...when I upgraded my bow, I got the Schaffer Opposition Site. It has 4 pins and an LED optional light for illumination for low light conditions.
If you buy a sight with multiple pins...use them!!! It's like buying a Porsche and driving it 55mph...why pay for something you aren't gonna use...just my opinion.
Good luck to all this fall 8)
AW

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2012, 08:42:18 PM »
I'm quite a bit late getting into the season this year for many reasons (probably not valid ones), but one of them was that I bought this new sight, the HHA Optimizer lite.  I wanted to install it, sight it in, and get some practice with it before heading into the woods with it.  I've never shot a single pin before.  I have a fast bow (probably average these days), the Matthews Z-Max, that shoots 320 fps at 70 pounds, and I'm shooting 62 pounds now.  After backing it off, I'm not losing all that much speed and I feel much better holding longer.  Anyway, to the point...after a week of practice with this new site, I'm very comfortable with the single pin now.  If I set it at 25 feet, I'm shooting tight groups with minimal up or down adjustment (maybe an inch at most) from 25 yards in.  I have to aim slightly high at 30, like two inches to shoot that same group.  If I am dead on at each distance out to 30 yards, I'm in the kill zone every shot no matter what.  I tried instintive out to 40 yards and adjusting high still kept me in the kill zone.  I'm ready to hunt with it, feeling much more confident now than when I first started setting the sight up.

When using the tape markings, I'm dead on out to 50 yards.  It took some thought for me to set this up, but looking back it was rather easy to sight in.  I can't believe how reliable those tapes are.  It's kind of nice not having to sight in each of multiple pins.

Now I'm ready to hunt.  Unfortunately, family plans and work prevent me from getting much time in, but I will more than make up for it later.  I want at least three in the freezer this year...

I went to check on my stand this past weekend, and lo and behold, someone removed it.   :o >:(  I know a guy that puts a stand on the neighboring property, so I left him a note asking if he knew anything about it.  He called me and apologized.  Apparently his buddy moved it to another spot on their property, thinking it was the other guys stand.  He took the stand and the tree setps.  The guy felt bad and told me that he moved it today back to my tree, set it up, replaced the steps, and left me 4 extra steps as an apology gift.  I was ticked at first, but now I realize this guy is alright in my book.  He also offered to let me use his stand as long as I call and make sure he's not planning to use it.  It's in a good spot, but I don't need it.  It's only a 12' ladder stand anyway, and I like to get 25' up the tree if I can.  Plus, I've got two other hot spots, but I thought that was also cool.  Too bad there are way more jerks out there than guys like that.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2012, 08:44:51 PM by Fat Boy »
-Kevin Wilson

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal